Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: $1050+50 Sng Hand History + Theoretical Question

[ QUOTE ]
my point to DCJ311 was that if the button folds AJo here, and if the SB+BB play similarly, then its correct for the cutoff to raise to 300 with any 2 cards.

This is purely theoretical as in practice this isn't how things work out. However whenever you have a play, where if you don't make it, it allows your opponent to raise with any 2, I don't think you can say it's clearly a bad play, without any specific read on the players involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtainz,

the main problem I had with the AJ hand was 1) the 20% stack raise generally means the guy has a hand far more often than not in high buyin sngs and 2) the 1800 shove leaves him pretty exposed with the SB and BB yet to act.

If your point is that AJ needs to be shoved in that spot to prevent any2 steals from happening, then I'll rebuttal by saying that players at this level will adjust if this player is continuously overstepping his boundaries.

BTW if SB or BB have AJo in this spot they should almost always reraise which I suppose is why your point was stated as purely theoretical. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By definition if all other things are equal it's far easier for a BB to move allin (in spots where there's little to no fold equity) than the SB, BTN, etc.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: $1050+50 Sng Hand History + Theoretical Question

[ QUOTE ]
so what youre saying is, if you wanted to be completely results oriented, i guessed the right call of the reshove range based on reshovers AJ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DCJ,

can you elaborate a bit on the stack size switch and your adjustment of ranges and play?

[/ QUOTE ]

AMT,

I thought the calling range needed to be around 88+, AQ+ based on your criteria, so that was an excellent guess. However, if certain people 'know' your calling range is 88+, AQ+ in that spot, then you'll have to loosen it a bit to keep people from exploiting you.

As for my stack switching example, if you give original raiser 1800 and the BTN 1500, I think it's far more correct to push the AJo than in example 1. The reasons are 1) You have slightly more fold equity as the original raiser has only raised 1/6 his stack as opposed to 1/5, which generally indicates a slightly weaker hand or more interest in folding to an allin and 2) You're exposing yourself for less chips than if you had 1800.

These very slight differences would be enough to sway me from a fold to an allin, although some may disagree with me.