Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Default 99 out of position

MP2 is tight and somewhat aggressive.
No reads on MP3.

I didn't really know what to do on any street.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Is my call ok?

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

I thought I had a decent chance of having the best hand but I didn't know whether I should wait for a safe turn card for my checkraise.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

I was quite happy how this has worked out with MP2.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero ?

I wished I had reads now. I thought he probably had slowplayed trips or made twopair. Do I look him up?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: 99 out of position

I like the way you played the hand. Coldcalling with 99 in SB is fine.

I think you're usually beat on the river, but with 10.5 BB in the pot you have to make the crying call.

Without any reads, he could have a lot of different hands. I would guess that he doesn't have an overpair, or else he would have raised preflop or on the flop. If he had a 6, I would've expected a raise on the turn. Maybe he hit the queen or backed into a flush somehow, but I think you need to call. He may have been trying to bluff a 'scary' 3rd club on the board.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:17 PM

I think MP3s play is most likely a flush draw, I think he showed you two big clubs A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ????

I also fully expect to be proven wrong, my hand reading sucks! Never the less I'd have gone with my read and check/called the river

Mat
Old 02-05-2006, 03:21 PM

I'm actually more interested in my flop/turn play. I'll post the results later, but they are meaningless for this hand.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:31 PM

Well don't see how you can do anything but raise flop and bet turn with an overpair.
If MP2 is TAG he'd have 3-bet you on the flop if he had a bigger pair so I think you are ahead and betting for value on the turn against MP3 who has done nothing but call, so I put him on some sort of draw.

Mat

P.S. if you only want comments on some streets it's worth only posting thr action up till that point so that seeing later cards / action doesn't influence peoples thinking
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Looks good to me until the river. This is one big problem area in general for me. I'm having a difficult time finding hands that we beat here that will call. 77's, 88's, but is villain calling with overcards or A3 or A4? I can see b/f on the river but the pot seems far too large for that. Against an unknown, I'm check calling, but as I said before, I have difficulty in these situations. I'd like to know what others think.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:43 PM

The flop and turn actions are both totally standard.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:04 PM

Pre-flop, flop, and turn are totally standard.

Depending on image/feel, I'll check-call or bet/call or bet/fold the river, with betting being the default action. There is no reason to believe that Q hurts you, so it's a value bet. When you get raised, folding or calling is probably almost nearly the same EV, probably lean towards folding.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Now, you should go ahead and discount my advice, since I'm rather new to the forum. I'd also welcome any comments on what I'm about to recommend.

I say: bet into the raiser on the flop.

This is a scary flop for anyone playing high cards against blinds. It's not as scary a flop for someone playing a pocket pair higher than 9s. Worst case scenario is a re-raise, which protects your hand against possible straight and flush draws of MP3. If you had two callers, you're probably ahead, and and watch out for overs and flushes.

As an aside, without any other information, the pre-flop cold call of the MP2 raise smells fishy to me.

I think the way you played it will make money in the long run, but I think, (but have not mathematically analyzed), that some pre-flop aggression would make more.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM

All standard until the river.

I think the river is read dependant. If villain is aggressive I b/c. The only way I can find a fold here is against a very passive opponent. But I still hate it and probably call anyway becasue I'm weak like that. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]