Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Theory type questions about preflop reraising and calling reraises

Ok I'm going to try and not make this to long and get my questions out as best as I can. A bit of background I am just coming out of my worst run ever (I'm sure some of you saw some whining in the cheese thread and I'm sorry) and looking to learn from it and hopefully have a better run at 200NL in a bit after some rebuilding.

One of the things that initially threw me off my game when I moved up to 200NL was the increase in preflop 3 betting. 3 betting preflop light was something that was not previously part of my game at all, and I'm trying to lighten up a bit now. It used to be if I reraised preflop I either had 10s + or AK. I look at some peoples pokertracker screen shots and can't understand how someone could be 21/19 (I think I saw dbitel with similar numbers). I've been running like 21/13 and I never open limp but I think a lot of the smaller preflop raising numbers comes from calling with small pairs or like J 10 suited on the button or CO. Like in a 100NL game UTG raises to $4 I'm calling with 33 on the button here. Would some of you reraise here? What if it was J 10 suited? When I look at a pokertracker session and see I played 22/11 I feel like I'm still making fundamental mistakes preflop. I know one leak is just completing from the sb to often in limped pots and I'm working on that, but it still seems if there are 3 limpers and I have 89o its worth the half bet to see the flop.

Question 2 $100 dollar stacks at 100NL I'm utg and open to $3.5 with 55, folded to sb who makes it $13. I've been calling here, mostly for set value although I do try and take the pot if the opportunity comes up ( I usually get check raised all in on the turn after 2 checks). Is this a mistake? I used to think it was fine to call just for set value really because it's 10 to me to try and win his 100. The problem is with people reraising lighter now is that where before I was very likely to stack him when I hit vs his big pair, now he may not have anything and get away cheaply making me fold when he has nothing often, and him getting away with a good amount of his stack when I do hit. Also if it is correct to call here then Shouldn't I be reraising more when the situations are reversed?

Basically I've noticed that the opponents that give me the most trouble are the ones that are laggy players on my left who constantly float my flop bets, and people that relentlessly reraise me preflop. Also that small stakes players tend to play much worse than they normally would in reraised pots. So since I find it more difficult to play against these things I should start doing it more myself. You know just learn from your tougher opponents. But I also remember a thread a bit ago where orange and a higher stakes player came to the conclusion that they thought it was better to just call on the button with 88 rather than reraise most of the time. Reraising AJ still seems like spew to me so I guess I'm lost as to where I should be reraising more. One last question is there a way to see stats from only preflop reraised pots in pokertracker?

I've read threads on some of this previously and am going to go back and search for some others, but I would definetly appreciate any responses/help from veteran posters or anyone who thinks they can help. Thanks again hope this wasn't to long and rambling.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Theory type questions about preflop reraising and calling reraises

I'd probably fold 55 in that spot you mentioned and call with 88+. There are just too many bad boards with the lower pairs, and a lot of the reason for calling is to outplay postflop with position. This is hard when you have low pairs that don't hit safe flops when you miss your set.

As far as calling with 33/JTs on the button, this is fine, but I would sometimes reraise against some of the tougher postflop opponents. I would also be more inclined to 3-bet when they are raising from CO or HJ as opposed to UTG.

You should post your position stats. Most of the time people have low PFR numbers, they aren't raising enough in position. I often raise hands as weak as A9o or 78o from the button after a limper or two.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 AM

I took a look at my position stats. Turns out I almost never raise from my BB. I'm like 16/5 from the BB. I guess I just always want to see the flop. But I'm sure its a leak and well, now I know. Don't know how to do pokertracker screen shots. Someone said something about the print screen button once but I'm semi computer retarded plus I just got back from the bar. Also bump for hopefully a couple responses. Orange? dbitel? Tough luck earlier tuba that 6 3 hand was gross.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 AM

i bet you limp the sb a lot
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 AM

Until very recently yes. And I'm working on it and trying to either make sure I raise or fold in blind battles, but still end up limpin to much when there are other limpers in.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 AM

I don't see anything wrong with completing from the sb when there are multiple limpers and you have a hand that would like to see a flop. I don't think that limping in a blind battle is good though.

I think that it is important to play in a way that you feel comfortable with, rather than trying to force your play to 21/19 because you think that is the 'right' way to play.

I do agree with people who have said that you should be raising a lot with position. I think I run about 20/16 overall, but my major leaks all come into play after the flop.