Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Default How to handle a check-raise on the Flop

2-5 No limit. I have $900. Villain has $500. Villain is loose aggressive and likes to see flops even with marginal hands. I raise from UTG with AQo to $20. It is folded around to Villain in the BB who calls. Flop comes 9 7 4 rainbow. Villain checks. I bet $25. Villain check-raises to $80. I think Villain would make this move with nothing at all or may have something like middle or bottom pair. Should I have checked after he checked? Should I now call and see what happens on the turn? Should I re-raise $100 more and see what he does?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: How to handle a check-raise on the Flop

No offense, but these seem like pretty elementary questions for someone playing at these stakes. Yes, you should cbet the flop when checked to. No, you shouldn't reraise him. Just fold.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM

I do not necessarily disagree with your answer. However, I know your not suggesting that I check every time that I am heads-up and it is checked to me or that I fold everytime I have been check-raised. I am more interested in the thought process to reach the decision.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 PM

You deal with this by folding
Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Insta fold, maybe hollywood it a bit if you wear sunglasses take them off... lol. Uh if he calls with marginal holding, looks like the flop hit him.

The better question is how would you play an overpair with the check raise?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM

why would this be a good flop for a CB if LAG villain is playing cards that are likely to hit this flop more often than not?? especially if he's the kind of LAG that'll min-raise you with air for fun.

I check behind here almost always and see a free Turn.

if you are going to raise his c/r then min-reraising him is about the worst of all worlds - standard line here is just to fold I think and kick yourself for CBetting a LAG with a hand that can't call a raise.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not necessarily disagree with your answer. However, I know your not suggesting that I check every time that I am heads-up and it is checked to me or that I fold everytime I have been check-raised. I am more interested in the thought process to reach the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not following you have no pair no draw. If he has 22 you are 3:1 against. He read you well, fold, "nh sir" and next time you make a CB on a raggy board against him have a real hand.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 PM

If he makes this move with 2nd, 3rd pair or air, and is playing hands that may have hit this flop, I don't mind checking behind.

Cbetting is a pretty standard play, but the reason it works is because flops usually miss opponents and then they give up when you bet. Based on the description of the opponent this doesn't appear to be that kind of situation.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM

I don't see where you guys are getting that the flop probably hit him, other than that we know OP was check-raised. In any case, I'm almost always cbetting here. We take it down most of the time, and the times we get c/r'd with nothing after cbetting are worth the metagame for the times we get c/r'd with something.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM

I always bet this dry flop.

After he check-raises than you should fold. You're too deep to call because you're unlikely to make a better hand where he'll have a good 2nd best hand. you should not reraise because a decent raise is obviously only a bluff and it'll be an expensive bluff.