Eric Staal - Hurricanes 0 0%
Daniel Alfredson - Ottawa 0 0%
Sidney Crosby - Penguins 2 4.35%
Simon Gagne - Flyers 0 0%
Brian Gionta - Devils 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Wii Graphics Inquiry

The Gamecube was significantly better than the PS2 in terms of graphics and the Wii is ahead of the GC. So, yes, the Wii is MUCH better.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Gamecube was significantly better than the PS2 in terms of graphics

[/ QUOTE ]

I Believe this is quite incorrect. The exact numbers escape me, but I believe it is measured in polygons over a period of time. I believe the XBOX was 120Million, PS2 was 70Million, and Gamecube was around 14Million.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:19 AM

I mean really all the Wii is, is a gamecube, with more ram, a better ATI chipset, and a wireless nic. I bet the motherboard and other parts are likely the exact same.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:53 AM

Freakin,

You are wrong. A few quotes/articles from reputable sources:

[ QUOTE ]
We would remind readers that during an era when polygon numbers meant everything, GameCube's polygon peaks were lower than PlayStation 2 and Xbox. However, few would disagree with the assertion that Resident Evil 4 - a title developed from the ground-up for Nintendo's system -- was one of the prettiest games of the generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (IGN) - While PS2 may have been theoretically capable of pumping higher polygons, it was still outdone by a GameCube game that looked better than practically everything on the PS2.

[ QUOTE ]
Being first on the market does have its downside for Sony, considering that in many ways the technology that drives the PS2 is inferior to Nintendo's GameCube, and drastically inferior to Microsoft's XBOX.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (Techlore) - Side by side comparison of all 3 systems lists PS2 as the weakest of all of them graphically.

[ QUOTE ]
A word on polygon performance...

I haven't mentioned polygon performance specs because it is such a gray area. Sony originally released raw polygon data for the PS2. Their numbers: 66 million polygons a second. Microsoft, not to be out done, quickly announced 300 million polygons a second raw (later trimming them to 125 million). Nintendo, on the other hand, only released real world figures that included all effects; or so the buzz goes. This figure of 6-12 million polygons per second is not the maximum that the GameCube can achieve in games; it is what the Space World technical demos were running at.

Hiroshi Imanishi cleared this up indirectly when answering a question during this interview.

Question: Nintendo insists there were no real games shown at Spaceworld though, despite the demonstrations?

Imanishi-san: True, and I think many people find that strange. However, the purpose of Spaceworld is to show off finished products. We thought it wouldn't be wise to show off the system and it's real capabilities almost a year before its release.

Nintendo deliberately low-balled the performance at the Space World show. Every viable source close to GameCube development kits confirms that the hardware can actually push closer to 20 million or more polygons a second with all effects on. There have been even been unconfirmed rumours of games being able to reach up to 40 million polys.

Realistically, first-gen PS2 games aren't doing much better than the Dreamcast with about 3-5 million polygons a second. The PS2, through the blood, sweat and tears of hard working developers should eventually push something like 10-15 million polygons a second... however, if they rendered 4 textures per triangle, you can cut that number right back down to 3-5 million polygons a second. There is no way around it. The GameCube is much more powerful than the PS2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (Nintendo World Report) - A note that even those polygon numbers released by Sony are highly misleading and when you sift through it all the GameCube should've been more powerful than the PS2. 20-40 million polygons a second for GameCube to anywhere from 3-15 for PS2.

[ QUOTE ]
Compared to the xbox and gamecube which processing power and polygon count well out way the PS2

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (Ciao UK) - This is a review where the guy is arguing FOR the PS2 and he even admits the processor power is beaten by both the GameCube and Xbox.

I could come up with more but you get the idea.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:25 AM

The links do a solid job in the argument.

Also you could just take any game that was available on both systems and fire it up and you'd have your answer...