Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Default wrist problems, from mouse use?

I play for a living, and recently, my wrist has that tingly "asleep" feeling pretty much all day long. It is mild, but it also does "fall asleep" way way easier that it used to (it used to be only when I slept on it wrong, and then I woke up and it would be totally numb, but then it would go away in like 2 or 3 minutes.)

Any ideas for how to fix this? Just holding a mouse feels strange when my hand is all pins and needles feeling. REALLY annoying because I want to play a ton these next few weeks...

edit: If it's a circulation problem, would cardio help?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Re: wrist problems, from mouse use?

There's a couple ways to keep you from getting arthritis. Believe it or not, those stress balls to help to a small extent as long as you use them often (daily after a session for a good couple minutes.) A better thing to do is to put your fingers together, then wrap them in enough rubber bands so there is tension when you try to open your hand. This works the muscles that you don't use when you're gripping a mouse. Again, the key is to do this exercise daily for a couple min before and after a session.

Finally, I would suggest paying up for a good ergonomic mouse. I used an Intellimouse for years, yet bought Logitech's MX1000 the instant I tried it out. Not saying it's the best as it'll depend on the size of your hands and whether you're comfortable holding it, but I can say I used to have the same problem you had and this helped a LOT. I almost never get the pins and needles anymore. The shape forces me to hold it correctly whereas other mice I'd usually develop bad habits. If you're having pain, an ergonomic mouse is definitely money well spent.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Check your posture when you're playing. I had problems for years with tingly wrist and fingers, eventually huge pains in my elbow and wrist, so bad that I couldn't grip anything tightly enough to turn a door handle.

It turned out everything was caused by poor posture, causing nerves in my neck and around the collar area to be compressed. Tiny bit of help from an osteopath and everything cleared up almost overnight.

So sit up straight! It can't hurt.

Guy.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 PM

I had similar problems six mos ago. Someone recommended the Evoluent Vertical Mouse and I love it and it has helped tremendously.

Others like the 3m or others. Here are some older threads that talked about ergonomics/mouses.

Vertical Mouse thread

Someone else with hand pain

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 PM

Assuming you're right-handed, switching to lefty from time to time can help. I have a mouse on each side and switch back and forth during a session. It takes a little while to get used to, particularly the clicking, but I think it's been worth it.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM

I just got the MX Revolution (logitech) and that solved the problem for me. It's design allows your thumb to be in a more relaxed position.

The other thing I did was get a chair (aeron) that could adjust the arms to a more comfortable position so that my wrist wasn't resting on the edge of my desk. Eventually I'd like to just get a good desk w/ a keyboard/mouse tray that pulls out

Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 PM

After a while I had some ulner nerve damage in my right arm which would made the left side of my right hand (if the hand open fromt he inside) completly numb. It gradually healed and now i dont have any problems.
Im also left handed so this was really strange.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:59 AM

I would suggest getting a girl friend as this may reduce the pressure on your wrist.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 AM

not if you smack her enough