Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Since nobody is posting hands: Turn/River play with a LAG.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You play good but gotta lay down to the 3 bet and that makes you look odd in villain's eyes maybe not in a way you want to look to him. You'll also look odd if you just call here and of course look very odd if you called unimproved. I'd feel a bit bad about missing a bet if he has a pair here and you just call but I figure it will be good for my metagame (and especially yours since you are a bit more snug than me) to play it passively here.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Why will it be good for me to play it passively? That is essentially how I many marginal hands against this type, letting them spew off bets when they have trash and saving bets when they have real hands.

This hand reminded me a lot of your KJ hand I saw you play in the 2/4 game with Rock. That was a super sick river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the fact that you often go limp here is the reason I like it. Encourages him that you play all hands the same here and may give him a bit of fear the next time you check to him (though these guys never learn). He's going to write you off as another passive fool who never lays down a hand and that's good for two reasons: 1) he thinks you suck so he'll continue to float you, goof with you, and basically not fold correctly against you, and 2) he just might play a bit more straightforwardly postflop against you. I know I'm doing something right when I play against these type of guys and I raise with like KQ and they call and the flop is ace high and I bet and they call and then we check it down and I win. I've trained them.

Also that river raise in the 2/4 was very specific to our history. I've given him plenty of bets on river bluff raises and will get paid there for a longgggg time to come [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay wait a second here. I raise UTG and get coldcalled. I bet at an Ace high relatively dry flop. No good? Are you seriously suggesting just giving up and check folding?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Oops... meant fold turn, not flop.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 AM

I think this hand is very good. Check folding on turn seems like you are giving up too easily and I agree most players refuse to leave you with the lead here with the ace. If he does have the ace he won't 3 bet without 2 pair (which is irrelevant anyway because even if he did reraise we wont call) and I doubt he ever re raise bluffs you which is probably the only conceivable downside of this play. He will bluff a lot of hands when checked to on the river that won't pay off a bet which is great for us. I think risking the loss of value of a checked behind hand that would call a river bet is fairly minimal and compensated by the money you make from bluffs and 9's and other jacks that valuebet and can't give up to the c/r (and probably all manner of horrible hands that refuse to laydown (any pp, 6's and maybe even a terrible KQ calldown).