Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Id never fight in a war

[ QUOTE ]
I value my existance too much to die for my government. If someone came into my house or attacked me then I would fight. If my country was being invaded, I would just move to the nicest safe place I could find, and then once I got there I would eat some food and have sex with some hot chick.

There is always going to be war, and the Politition's kids are never going to be fighting them, so why be a sucker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly this statement probably sums up how many (and yes I realize there are exceptions) young people seem to feel these days. Apathy and cynicism are the primary emotions, and self-interest their only motivation. They don't care about politics, history, injustice, equality, or anything else that doesn't give them some tangible immediate benefit. I think the only thing that will ever shake them out of their stupor is a miltary draft. Otherwise life is just to easy for them to care about anyone or anything bigger than themselves.

My grandfather quit his job and left his newlywed wife to volunteer to fight in World War II. Not long before he died I asked him why. He just said matter-of-factly, "I saw what Hitler was doing, and couldn't see not doing my part to stop him." It's probably hard for most young people to even believe that men once honestly felt that way.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably hard for most young people to even believe that men once honestly felt that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, their are today hundreds of thousands of men and women, young and old, who feel that way.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 AM

What about those photos where you have thousands of soliders running at thousands of soliders from the other side, and most of those guys have to realize that they are going to die. You might be able to sit on your butt infront of a computer and say that you would be willing to do it, but when your commanding officer says "OK [censored], see all those guys with machine guns over there? Your job is to run at them and shoot", you might think twice about the futility of war.

What if your opposition decided to make a deal. If you took a gun and shot yourself in the head, then two of their soliders of equal caliber would also shoot themselves in the head. This would be +EV for your side, so I am sure you would have no problem with it.

"I think the only thing that will ever shake them out of their stupor is a miltary draft."

Yeah, that worked out great the last time, huh?

And btw, what are all of you brave and courageous men doing about the dying African children? Youve read Sklansky's post right? So what have you done exactly?

I think you guys watch too much TV.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 AM

What? You don't want to bring quick death to the enemy? Don't you know it's out to get you? Better kill it first!!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 AM

I'd like to congratulate KKF for making the wierdest bump I remember seeing around here. So let me ask you, how did you find this thread?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:49 PM

I got a letter from the government the other day, opened it read it, said they were suckers. They wanted me for their army or whatever, dont they know Im a blackman and can never be a veteran?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:58 AM

What about if Mel Gibson was prancing around in front of you on a horse in a short skirt and saying "every man dies; not every man really lives"? Would that not stir your heart to fight?

Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 AM

Tom Cruise struggled with this exact issue in the cinematic classic "Born on the Fourth of July." The following dialog really helped to put the issue into perspective for me:

Tom Cruise: When I was in the hospital, I thought, yeah - yeah, this makes sense.
Timmy Burns: What makes sense?
Tom Cruise: Because I failed, Timmy.
Timmy Burns: What are you talking about?
Tom Cruise: Because I - I killed some - people; I made some terrible - mistakes!
Timmy Burns: Oh, for Christ's sake, Ronnie, we all made mistakes. I mean, you - you had no choice. That's something that those goddamn pansy demonstrators ain't never gonna understand! Now, you don't even have to talk about it, Ronnie; I mean, it was insane over there! It was crazy!
Tom Cruise: Sometimes I wish, I wish I'd - The first time I got hit, I was shot in the foot. I could have laid down, I mean - who gives a [censored] now if I was a hero or not? I was paralyzed, castrated that day; why? It was all so - stupid! I'd have my dick and my balls now, and some days, Timmy - some days I think I'd give everything I believe in - everything I got, all my values, just to have my body back again, just to be whole again. But I'm not whole; I never will be, and that's - that's the way it is, isn't it?
Timmy Burns: [after a slight pause] For Christ's sake, Ronnie, it's your birthday. You're alive. You made it! Smile.

There aren't any wars in the last half-century that I'd be willing to risk my dick and my balls for.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:08 AM

"My grandfather quit his job and left his newlywed wife to volunteer to fight in World War II. Not long before he died I asked him why. He just said matter-of-factly, "I saw what Hitler was doing, and couldn't see not doing my part to stop him." It's probably hard for most young people to even believe that men once honestly felt that way."

That's interesting. I'd like to think if there was a truly just battle to be fought, I'd do my part. I don't see Iraq as being this way, or most if not all wars since WWII for that matter, but if the day came I think I'd be ready to fight.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about if Mel Gibson was prancing around in front of you on a horse in a short skirt and saying "every man dies; not every man really lives"? Would that not stir your heart to fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably pop a boner, a war boner for sure!