Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: NL100: Getting aggressive w/tptk

[ QUOTE ]
FYP. Seriously WTF? That's a totally ridiculous assumption. He's on a range which includes the draw, yes, but we must tailor our line to extract the most from his entire range of hands, not merely lose the least to his draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i was saying is that i was thinking at the time that various draws represent a really big percentage of his range. i can't put him on jj here, or he's the wackiest 60/20 i've ever played against. he could indeed have 66, but villian could have a set in nearly any hand we play.

i think letting villian see a turn cheaply when i believe a draw to be a huge part of his range is bad, especially when lots of his likely drawing hands have jacks, queens or kings in them, which i don't like to see.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can make a good case for folding, but that seems too wimpy. But what do you do if he bets the turn after you call the flop? I don't like risking my whole stack (unless short) on top pair. They always seem to have it beat

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i'm trying to commit my stack here on the flop when i think i'm a favorite against his range.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYP. Seriously WTF? That's a totally ridiculous assumption. He's on a range which includes the draw, yes, but we must tailor our line to extract the most from his entire range of hands, not merely lose the least to his draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i was saying is that i was thinking at the time that various draws represent a really big percentage of his range. i can't put him on jj here, or he's the wackiest 60/20 i've ever played against. he could indeed have 66, but villian could have a set in nearly any hand we play.

i think letting villian see a turn cheaply when i believe a draw to be a huge part of his range is bad, especially when lots of his likely drawing hands have jacks, queens or kings in them, which i don't like to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're fairly sure that villain has a drawing hand here, then you should let yourself see a turn card cheaply, and happily fold if his draw comes and he bets hard. Otherwise pot the turn for even more monies from donkey calling station. You lose less and you win more. Yay! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 06:54 PM

I don't think 68/21 over a very small sample, quote unquote, is enough to felt this on the flop. I'm going to want rock-solid evidence the guy is a complete maniac before pushing over his flop c/r here. Calling his c/r and proceeding from there is preferable, IMO.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM

I guess I wasn't completely clear. You were check raised on the flop. Why do you think top pair is good? It might be good if he's aggressive holding a weaker kicker or just being tricky, but you don't know this player.

Pushing is fine when there are obvious draws you must protect against. It's also fine when you have fold equity which could make a better hand fold, but what better hand is going to fold here? I'm not sure what the right play is, but pushing here just looks too risky.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're fairly sure that villain has a drawing hand here, then you should let yourself see a turn card cheaply,

[/ QUOTE ]

what if you think villian will call off the rest of his stack w/his draw?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're fairly sure that villain has a drawing hand here, then you should let yourself see a turn card cheaply,

[/ QUOTE ]

what if you think villian will call off the rest of his stack w/his draw?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's dumb enough to call a draw on the flop, then he'll probably do the same on a brick turn where his equity has dropped in half, especially since he's re-raised OOP, and will very likely want to keep the initiative with a turn bet.