Default Re: Settle This Fight Debate.

[ QUOTE ]
Question to the knife advocates-
How are you holding the knife?

[/ QUOTE ]

with the blade upward.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 PM

I think this fight comes down to intelligence.
Blokes with an IQ of 100= bat wins
Blokes with an IQ of 130= Knife wins
I think strategy plays a huge part in this fight.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 PM

LOL at thinking IQ matters in a fight
Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM

Big Difference in intelligence is what i was trying to get at, and yes i believe it plays a big part.

EDIT (in this particular fight)
Old 11-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Not IQ, but cunning. Even weasels can have a type of cunning.

They say that Joe Louis got beat, but he never got beaten twice. He learned every fighter as he fought him, and adapted perfectly.

Some people will never recognize a pattern of, say, someone dropping his hand after a jab, leaving an opening. Some will notice it the very first time. Since not dying matters, I suppose you could call this intelligence or some sort, but it wouldn't fit under any sort of "general intelligence" category I can think of right off the, ahem, bat.

It's more like practical intelligence, and quick thinking, than deep or broad intelligence. You can be very dumb and have a ton of this, and very smart and have none.

Maybe it's a combination of the ability to focus on what matters, and then extrapolate from there what to do. And that itself comes from other things, like the ability to push aside fear or the many different ways you can get tunnel vision and freeze up. Probably even one's peculiar sensitivity to stress hormones factors in, making at least part of this strictly physical. But how much?

The ability to improvise in a fight is a pretty curious thing. A lot of people probably assume they have a lot more of it than they really do. Even very experienced professionals can have it drop away quickly when under pressure.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 PM

how long is a bat? how long is the blade of a butterfly knife? i rest my case

anyways there is no way a non-trained fighter can either get inside the range of the bat guy or deflect/take a hit without getting [censored] up. if i break your non-knife arm with a bat you are going down, end of story
Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 PM

I am not sure the people who are saying 'knife' have ever been hit with a baseball bat. Having played baseball for 15 years, I would take a baseball bat in a heart beat. I would have the bat on him before he got close enough to use his knife.

You could beat someones skull in with a bat. I could hit the other person in the chest/abdominal area and it would knock the breathe out of them.

Tough to fight when you are on the ground or you can't breathe.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:28 PM

I was only using the diffenence in IQ as an example of differing intelligence,

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related mental abilities, such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. In common parlance,

I think this plays a big part in the fight.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:31 PM

A lot of people don't seem to take into account the momentum behind a bat swing. Whether it breaks your arm or not, it can knock you off balance, especially if you are lunging in at the time or leaping back. It's not like the momentum stops in the arm. Getting hit can negate your lunge and make you miss by a mile. Then, with bad balance and positioning and a hurt arm/body, you're in really bad trouble.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:35 PM

I think certain kinds of intelligence or ability can play a big part. But I would break down the concept of intelligence into some parts before I would apply the concept of general intelligence. You can be a math whiz and/or write a great novel, but be a very inflexible, non-intuitive fighter. Most people, of any intelligence, tend to get rigid in fights, either in movements or thoughts or both. Tunnel vision is common and has nothing to do with intelligence. Probably the ability to apply whatever intelligence you have is much more important than the level of general intelligence itself. "There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip," to quote a favorite phrase.