Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Default 99 blind battle, probably very standard

I don't know villain, but PT says he's a fairly standard lag of 34/14/1.5 running pretty hot at 53 wtsd and 53 w$sd. He's been playing very tight lately though, probably on account of the 93/50something maniac to my right (2 to his right).

Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button.

Folds to Hero, Hero raises, villain 3-bets in SB, Hero calls. Normally I'd cap, but like I said, the guy had been super tight. Still probably should've capped though huh?

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero...calls? I don't know what I want to do here. Folding feels very vagina like. Call down because of the strength of my hand? Raise because of the moderately nonthreatening board? I called.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero folds...

I guess I could raise on the scare card, but I'm scared too. Or go to showdown. Or do what I did...
Old 11-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: 99 blind battle, probably very standard

I would either be capping PF or raising the flop for sure. I don't think it makes a huge difference which one you choose, and I definitely do both on different occasions. A flop raise here looks good because you are ahead of a decent chunk of his range, and it makes the rest of the hand a lot easier to play.

As played, yes I would be folding that turn too. His range crushes you now. You are getting 7.5:2 on a calldown, which is not nearly enough to hope he has a smaller PP, and even if he did, it's unlikely he will keep betting it.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 PM

u dont have to cap preflop here i dont think. 10 10 + you pretty much insta cap i think here.

you could raise the donk bet, bet the turn ck behind on the river, call the donk and freeshowdown a rag non heart turn or just call down

i think u played it pretty standard but letting him take initiative when he bets out on the flop does leave u suseptible to folding the best hand when bad cards fall like happened here. as played i fold the turn too
Old 11-24-2006, 07:51 PM

Go with your read. If he plays so tight as you are convinced of, fold flop. Not bad to be weak some times.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:25 AM

I would cap PF.

Whether or not to raise the flop is an interesting question. I believe raising the flop is best against a worse hand that will calldown. He looks like the type to calldown with ace high hoping you have a flush draw, and he'll never fold a pocket pair if you raise the flop. If you raise the turn he's more likely to fold, but this isn't too bad if he has 6 outs. You make 1.5 instead of 3BB if he would've called down a flop raise, but his outs are probably worth close to 1BB. Also sometimes when we raise the flop he'll just fold the flop or check/fold the turn when he otherwise would've bet/folded the turn if we just called, so we make less than .5BB by raising the flop when we have the best hand.

Against a better hand I also think raising the flop is best if our alternative is putting 2.5 bets in. Let's say he 3 bets the flop with a better hand and we decide to peel and fold the turn UI. This saves us 1BB. However if we called to the river we would get a shot at 2 outs, and even if we raise the turn he's less likely to 3 bet better hands, so we don't really save a whole BB. Also he'll sometimes just call the flop to check/raise the turn, in that case we don't save much at all.

I think the main question is how often he pushes us off a worse hand, assuming we're folding the turn UI. With the limited read it's a tough question to answer. Against a LAG I think it's a clear flop call and against a straightforward guy I'd lean towards raising the flop. I'm babbling but I'd call the flop here with the limited read.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would either be capping PF or raising the flop for sure. I don't think it makes a huge difference which one you choose, and I definitely do both on different occasions. A flop raise here looks good because you are ahead of a decent chunk of his range, and it makes the rest of the hand a lot easier to play.

As played, yes I would be folding that turn too. His range crushes you now. You are getting 7.5:2 on a calldown, which is not nearly enough to hope he has a smaller PP, and even if he did, it's unlikely he will keep betting it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u dont have to cap preflop here i dont think. 10 10 + you pretty much insta cap i think here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap this pf. You have a strong hand in position and capping makes the hand easier to play.

I fold this turn here every time as played.