Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Default PLO8 $100 : wrap to the wheel

I've just played something like 6-7 hand at this table (all folded preflop), so I did not have reads on my opponents

UB Pot Limit Omaha/8, $1BB (10 handed)
Stack Size :
Hero $98.5
MP2 ~$100

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero calls $1, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $4.5, Hero calls $4.5.

Flop: ($18) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, MP2 calls $18, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($54) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $54</font>, MP2 calls $54

River: ($162) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $21 and is all-in</font>, MP2 calls $21

Final Pot: $204

Hero shows A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP2 shows A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Please comment both Hero and MP2 play on the flop and on the turn.
I'm generally quite passive (agression factor flop/turn/river= 0.99/0.94/1.12) and see that most of 2+2er are more aggressive, so I try to play it in an aggressive way.
Do you think my pot size bet has a big fold equity on the turn ?

Thanks

vingte
Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $100 : wrap to the wheel

i'd probably try for a CR on the flop,but only if i was fairly certain villain would bet. the rest is fine.

as villain, i think i would have jammed the flop -- it really depends on my read of you.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:11 AM

I think this is a little overaggressive given the strength of your hand, but I like your play a lot better than MP2's passive calldown. He should have tried to get it all in on the flop, or else folded on the turn after the brick hit. He could also have saved himself some trouble by not potting it preflop with this hand; the only reason to do that would be to increase fold equity postflop, but he doesn't raise later at all.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:18 AM

I agree with BART, a little too aggressive on the turn, granted this guy was holding one of the worst possible hands against yours, but in omaha that happens more than enough not to worry about being against a hammer.

Equity on the Flop

Granted we were able to use his exact cards, but we should think about the possibilty of him having the nut low draw with a flush draw before we start moving chips.

Also he played his hand super weak, but he still made it to the showdown, so put this in your memory bank and see if this was a one hand thing or is he always this passive.

Equity on the Turn

Now that you have seen your equity on the turn, do you see why it is smart to slow down and play pot control on some hands? You had 4/5 of your stack on a draw with one card left and you were a 3-1 dog.

It is IMPERATIVE that you avoid these situations for most of your stack, if you want to be a winning player.

PS. I had the luxury of knowing his hand before analysing where as you didn't, but without any reads, as you said, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt until I find out other wise.

PSS. Next hand you post dont post his hand or the results unitl you have had several decent replies. This will give you a better idea as to how others think without being biased by knowing the others holdings.

Good Luck
Old 11-28-2006, 09:57 PM

I hate your turn bet, but luckily for you, villian made an even bigger blunder.

Hindsight says you built your pot and took one away, but overall, this play will get you stacked more often than you get to scoop.