Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Incredibly vague general post

[ QUOTE ]
I say play more tables. Then you're not thinking, "I won't get JJ for another 30 minutes so I'm going to showdown."

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't work for cash but this does work for sngs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 PM

play less tables... i dont know if shorter sessions will fix the problem unless you get fatigued and lose your composure after an hour or two.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just stop it, play good?

[/ QUOTE ]

if only it were that easy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the whole idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is. But you have not offered a solution to the problem. I know i should not be making the mistakes but i do.

I guess i should try to think about more about things., but in the heat of battle i am known to make some shocking decesions.

Given your bot like play [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], any helpful hints to play goot all the time?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Personally, whenever I go through this I realize that...

I think poker reflects our insides...sort of a mirror on whats in us.

So, yeah, its possible you need to really focus/work on some opporitunity areas in your character, sorta like what Slacka suggested --- but personally, I notice that whenever I'm doing some of the things you suggested...

Its because I sorta have this inner need to express parts of myself through the poker that I have expressed fully through my personal life sufficiently.

So my personal fix for the sort of leak you seem to be talking about (or at least my personal version of your leak) is basically to shut down poker for a little bit and pursue plugging some "leaks" in my personal life.

Sometimes I need to be more social/have more fun.
Sometimes I need to realize something/vent something/whatever.
Sometimes I just need a good phone call, or a relaxing eveningin, of a drunken evening or something else simlar, etc...
Soemtimes its a minor adjustment in my life, sometimes its just realizing the need for an 'outing.'

Its important to come to the tables generally 'at peace' and as a 'blank slate.' You play significantly better.

Don't know if you can relate or if this helps.

Snarf
Old 11-24-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just stop it, play good?

[/ QUOTE ]

if only it were that easy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the whole idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is. But you have not offered a solution to the problem. I know i should not be making the mistakes but i do.

I guess i should try to think about more about things., but in the heat of battle i am known to make some shocking decesions.

Given your bot like play [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], any helpful hints to play goot all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am playing poker and I know I am not focussing, or making dumb mistakes I make a conscious effort to bare down and focus and play well, and if I can't do that, then I won't play. Obviously no one can play really well all the time, but you can try your hardest to get as close to it as you can as often as you can. It's silly to hear solid winning players who know exactly how to beat the game complain about playing bad. It's not as if there are fundamental errors, it just comes down to simple discipline and being able to control it and stop giving money away. If you really want to give your money away you should donate it to a charity. A lot of guys here do this for a living which makes it even sillier.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:37 AM

thanks for the advice that really helps.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:51 AM

Alright so I just played a set and even though I basically brokeven I played really well and made few mistakes, basically I did what I wanted to do in the op.
The main reason for this was because I was in the right mindset to play, this probably is the most important thing. I know I personally can tell when I'm playing well and when I'm not and I must stop playing when I shouldn't be playing and keep playing when I should.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two things I'm thinking are play shorter sessions and less tables.

[/ QUOTE ]My guess is that most leeks in online poker comes from the fact that players play more tables then they can manage. I don't suggest that everyone playing +2 tables are loosers but their ROI get affected negative.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:56 AM

The Jon Vorhaus "Killer Poker" books offer some good advice/information on these dicipline/concentration type leaks and preparing to play sessions.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:00 PM

in general my worst play comes when im winning a lot of money.

if im playing 14 tables continuous for 4-5 hours and am already where i started in my cashier with like 10 tables left at the end of my session i start playing unbelievably carelessly.

conversely, if i think theres a chance i finish the session down i really buckle down and try to make the best play every time.

im trying to play better when im winning.