Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Another tear my business plan to shreds

I think its about time for another 'live strong' bracelet trend.

I got my idea from a jimmy buffet song:

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
---------------------------------------------

I am going to sell watches that just say now.

I will buy wholesale watch cases and straps on ebay, remove their hands and glue a printout on the face that says now in big black letters. Some will have artistic drawings of the word now done by local artists on the face.

The cost for me to produce each watch will be around 4$, I will sell them for around 15$.

They will be sold in an ebay store linked to my website ( name to be determined (any ideas?) )

Also on the website I will write inspirational stories about the need to cherish the present and always live for the moment or else your life will pass you by.

I will advertise by posting my stories and comments on various message boards ( christian, self help, addiction recovery, inspirational, sports ). Also, I have some media contacts from a past project at the nytimes & ap & washpost & cnn, so I will try to get a story written about my 'movement'.

Also I will try to buy advertising on some major christian self help websites.

If succesful, I would like to find a manufacturer to manufacture my own watches and then try to make it into WalMart.

I am a strong believer in living for the present and I think this idea can help people.

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Another tear my business plan to shreds

You're insane ... but I love it.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 AM

I don't get the "novelty item/inspirational stories" connection. Seems similar to marketing marbles to cooks via recipe sites. I just don't see anyone buying one to get inspired. I do get a chuckle out of it as a novelty gift...but as soon as I clicked to a serious blog/inspirational site I'd be like "WTF?". I'd probably still get one tho for the novelty factor.

Before mass producing and attempting to get them in Wal-Mart, I think you'd need more products that fit your line. Few companies manufacturing items in large quantities have one and only one product. I can't think of any at all offhand.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:43 AM

It isnt a novelty item. It is not a joke.

It is meant as a reminder to you when you look at your wrist, that you are living in the present, and that you need to make the most out of this moment that you are in right now. What are you doing RIGHT NOW to make this moment memorable to you?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isnt a novelty item. It is not a joke.

It is meant as a reminder to you when you look at your wrist, that you are living in the present, and that you need to make the most out of this moment that you are in right now. What are you doing RIGHT NOW to make this moment memorable to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow your reasoning...I just don't "feel" the connection. Seems like a stretch to me. I mean no offense, and I do think differently than a large portion of the population which sometimes leaves me scratching my head.

I'm big on self-help/psychological studies/inspirational techniques myself...but looking at my watch and seeing NOW just doesn't do anything at all for me.

For all I know everyone else on the planet would be inspired and I'm just strange. I'm just offering my $0.02. Good luck if you decide to pursue it. You can certainly start small w/ little financial risk and see how it goes...constantly tweaking and adjusting your marketing attack along the way.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 PM

You are selling a product for which there is no need.

For every home run on quirky products like these, there are no doubt a thousand failures.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are selling a product for which there is no need.

For every home run on quirky products like these, there are no doubt a thousand failures.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no need for the "pet rock" either, but that guy made millions of his stupid idea. I'm not saying that this will be successful (cause it probably won't be) but I'm just saying that there doesn't have to be a need for a product to be successful.

Anyway, often a "need/want" is pr generated by the company selling the product. i.e. they make you think you need/want the product through their marketing.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:31 PM

"Yes, this is horrible, this idea."
Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 PM

I dont think anybody is going to wear a watch that doest actually tell them the time.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM

look here cafepress.com
a t shirt/hat?