Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Jeez... can anything but folding be right, here?

How do you not fastplay a set on this flop, youŽre not going to get action from anything other than the big aces. So the flop is a good time to start building yourself a pot IMO, and i think this is a pretty basic concept no ? So against a somewhat thinking player this is a very tough spot for me.
Though the advice in here probably refers to "I've since seen him do some fishy crap"
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM

You'd have to be very stupid to make this check raise with AQ. 45 MAY be present here. overall looks like a bad spot
Old 11-23-2006, 08:58 PM

I think if you're planning on folding to a raise I'd check behind. AJ or AQ stands a decent chance of c/r'ing you here as much as they are c/c'ing, against unknowns, and that's a disaster. The board is reasonably dry, you can afford to give a card and induce a bluff. In that situation I'd probably call turn and river.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you not fastplay a set on this flop, youŽre not going to get action from anything other than the big aces. So the flop is a good time to start building yourself a pot IMO, and i think this is a pretty basic concept no ? So against a somewhat thinking player this is a very tough spot for me.
Though the advice in here probably refers to "I've since seen him do some fishy crap"

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a decent player, who could fold top pair, fast playing a set is not going to be the most profitable line imo. It's a dry board, so raising on draws is not in the picture. The way you say it makes it sound as though villain won't get another bet out of OPs big Ace if he just calls which is not true. Pot building is fine, but if villain did have a set here, he picked a bad board to show so much strength on no?

What other hand would you raise with here that you wouldn't 3 bet with preflop? If you can name one then raising here may be correct for you.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd have to be very stupid to make this check raise with AQ. 45 MAY be present here. overall looks like a bad spot

[/ QUOTE ]

"I didnt have any real reads."

This doesnt have to be a thinking opponent. Defending his bb with A9 and CR'ing thnking that KK or QQ will call is most certainly in the realm of possibility.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm folding here exactly never against an unknown in a 200nl 6-max game.

[/ QUOTE ]

On this board, you're NEVER folding? Seems like it might be a leak, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre folding AK here, do you realize how exploitable it is?

Basically your calling range is AA, 66, 33, A6, A3. This is a small fraction of the hands you would cbet on this flop.

If I was this guy and I knew you fold Ak to a CR here I'd CR you with air every time.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was this guy and I knew you fold Ak to a CR here I'd CR you with air every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a lot of the times I defend I c/r a flop just cause I'm crazy like that or something.

Seriously though, the guy called a raise from the BB, if he limped-called preflop or cold called I'd be much more interested in folding.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm folding here exactly never against an unknown in a 200nl 6-max game.

[/ QUOTE ]

On this board, you're NEVER folding? Seems like it might be a leak, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre folding AK here, do you realize how exploitable it is?

Basically your calling range is AA, 66, 33, A6, A3. This is a small fraction of the hands you would cbet on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a problem unless somebody clearly starts exploiting you though, and then you adjust. Your reasoning also justifies stacking off with TPTK nearly always, which can't be good.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:25 PM

"If you can name one ..." A6s sometimes, set or air mostly. I try to avoid good players OOP though, and sometimes play my good hands to strong indeed.
Vs Unknowns i asmue iŽll get their stack if they hold AK,AQ .. sometimes AJ and they wonŽt expect a c/r there.

I didnŽt see A9, AT etc. very often in those spots though, maybe i should try felting a bit more and see if that changes :P
Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If you can name one ..." A6s sometimes, set or air mostly. I try to avoid good players OOP though, and sometimes play my good hands to strong indeed.
Vs Unknowns i asmue iŽll get their stack if they hold AK,AQ .. sometimes AJ and they wonŽt expect a c/r there.

I didnŽt see A9, AT etc. very often in those spots though, maybe i should try felting a bit more and see if that changes :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude, I should have been more specific. If you can name a hand that you'd raise there, that tptk could think he is ahead of, then it may be ok, but all the hands you said are beating OP anyway (apart from air obv). He'll be thinking he's ahead of AQ and AJ that may play like this, but unlikely, as it's really overplaying. And he'll figure to be behind 2 sets and combinations of two pair.

If you held a set there, you are begging the raiser to have something like AK so that you can get another bet out of him on the turn before raising him (unless the turn bricks as well!), by which time he may not get away from his hand, or, he could have improved to a good second best one.

I'd only raise a set if the next card could put me behind or kill my action. No turn card could do that in this case.