Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: The Wrestling Thread

In 1981, I was 11 years old and still wasn't sure if it was fake or real. Went to the Providence Civic Center, the main event was champion Bob Backlund vs Playboy Buddy Rose. Rose is beating the champion badly - a fan jumps in the ring, Backlund jumps up off the mat, and him Rhodes and the ref put a bad beating on the fan -- It was then that I realized it was fake. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I also once played 1-5 stud with Gorilla Moonsoon at Foxwoods - probably around 94.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:00 PM

I got into wrestling when I was young but I have no real memories from that. I do remember getting into wrestling when seeing the rock again when I was like 20. I couldn't get enough of him. My personal favorite promo was when Jericho debuted on the WWF at the the time. That was amazing. Slowly and surely wrestling started to suck though. I try and watch it everyonce in a while now, but I just can't get into it.

True story, back in like I guess 1988, my mom went on a couple dates with Jake the snake. He came to our house and I met him. Funny thing was, I ended up watching the beyond the mat dvd like 14 years later. That guy was [censored] up something seriously.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:34 PM

TheRock69 says you take this wrestling thread shine it up real nice and stick it straight up your candy ass. And after that TheRock69 will layest the smackest down on your candy ass and check you into the smackdown hotel on know your role blvd. So know your role and shut your mouth. If you smellllllllll what TheRock69 is cooking.

The Rock was the greatest!!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal favorite promo was when Jericho debuted on the WWF at the the time. That was amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence.
Nuh uh...JERICHO is excellence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFX7_4uTqhI
Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My personal favorite promo was when Jericho debuted on the WWF at the the time. That was amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure if I searched hard enough in my mom's house I could find the tape of this. Absolutely awesome promo.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:23 AM

Found a 1992 documentary on WWF scandals. Pat Paterson the VP of operations fired the male ring annoucer for not having sex with him? Hogan was a crack and sex addict?
Video
Old 11-24-2006, 02:49 AM

I first got into it during the Flair-Savage feud. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Liz.
Apparantly Hogan was supposed to lose the belt to Flair but he refused to do the job, so Wrestlemania VIII became a double main event w/ Hogan/Sid and Flair/Savage.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10. Riki Choshu/Masa Saito/Hiro Saito vs. Akira Maeda/Nobuhiko Takada/Osamu Kido 11/19/87 - This is raw footage of the (in)famous shoot kick match. As Choshu is putting Kido in the scorpion, Maeda visciously kicks him in the face, legitimately breaking 3 bones. Choshu (his face swollen) goes after Maeda but the other 4 keep them apart. Quickly, Choshu pins Kido and goes after Maeda again, but they're kept apart. Kido, Choshu's opponent, is the first to check on his face. The crowd aware of what's happening starts chanting MA-E-DA and SHOOT since Maeda is somewhat of a cult hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see this.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a don't blink moment and seems really innocuous when it happens. Maeda was damn lucky that Choshu was being held back by almost everyone there as he is a real life tough guy and Maeda isn't anywhere close to the rep he has made for himself. Maeda basically did that because he is a punk and was mad that he was being held back by Inoki. The thing is, you almost always have to pay your dues before you get a big push, and when you have a promotion that was as deep as NJPW was in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, it will take a while before you get a push at the top. Its easier today because all of the talent is spread thin in Japan and the wrestling business is in a major downcycle there
Old 11-24-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Word is he can suck his own dick.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81037414435530

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG, scariest succession of posts I have ever seen on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was bad.

Here's a good classic video to make up for that moment of fear. It's from June 15, 1977. Ricky Steamboat challenges Ric Flair for the Mid-Atlantic television title. Greg Valentine (then Flair's tag partner) is a guest commentator.

This is more than four years before Flair won his first NWA World Championship.

Steamboat vs. Flair

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at an ordinary suplex being thought of as a finishing move. Oh and that first link is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to take everything in context. Back then, an "ordinary suplex" was a big move. If you don't realize these things when watching matches back then, then its hard to get enjoyment out of them. There was much more story telling in the matches back then then there is now. TOday is a high spot fest and fans have been over exposed to a lot of big moves. Its a good reason why careers are much shorter now then they were then
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I loved his man of 1004 holds routine in WCW when he was fueding with Malenko