Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Default I\'m going to big bear (LA, CA) for xmas w/gf; recommendations please?

So me and my girlfriend are going to big bear for xmas. She wants to stay in a cabin w/a spa. I'm looking online to figure something out and there are about 9000 sites. Has anyone here been there, and can you recommend a cool place?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: I\'m going to big bear (LA, CA) for xmas w/gf; recommendations plea

I lived in Big Bear for a couple years, there's no way to recommend a specific cabin, but if you find something you like feel free to post it and I can tell you if it's in a good spot.

I miss Big Bear.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM

I'd drain the spa first, and the refill if I were you.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM

I've only stayed up at Big Bear a few times, but I stayed in the little community of Sugarloaf, and it was pretty nice. Look on Google Maps, and it's SE of the airport. In my case I stayed with someone who owned a cabin up there, so I didn't have to look for one; I'm not sure if any of the cabins in Sugarloaf would have spas - it appeared to be more of a residential neighborhood than a resort community.

The nice thing about Sugarloaf is that it is quiet - nobody goes up that way unless they have a reason to be in Sugarloaf - it doesn't lead anywhere else (and it's basically all homes - so no businesses either). That will be an even bigger plus during the winter when there are plenty of tourists turning the snow into brown mush around the lake itself. Brown mush doesn't make for a very romantic vacation.

You might want to take a look at Lake Arrowhead too. I tend to like it a little better than Big Bear (both have pluses and minuses), but it's probably going to be more pricey too. I'm also probably a little biased right now because I recently toured a house (read: mansion) that is nearing completion on Lake Arrowhead. It has a waterfront spa, two elevators, a turntable in the garage (to spin a car around before parking it) along with a dozen rooms or so. So the obvious answer is to befriend some rich people [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy some chains for your vehicle (even if it is 4WD - they will insist) and throw them in the trunk. It's much cheaper to buy them beforehand than when you're at the checkpoint. Also keep in mind that HWY 330 has had a lot of road closures recently, so don't take it for granted that it will be open (check on the Cal Trans website before you leave).
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 PM

Be prepared for the worst traffic jam in your life.