Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Satellite Bubble Situation Versus David Ross

David is a 2+2'er and very good poker player, doesn't post much here anymore. He knows who I am. There are 3 $650 seats to be won, 4th is negligible. The other players are typical sat players, which is that they kind of get they are supposed to fold a lot but are still more active than they should be. I recently doubled up when the big stack min raises, I shoved 6x his bet with AA, and he called with AJs.

What should my shoving range be?

What should his calling range be?

One important thing to keep in mind: the two of us are 3rd and 4th place stacks right now, and only 3 get seats.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t8430)
BB (t12294)
UTG (t980)
MP1 (t4397)
MP2 (t7800)
Hero (t4850)
Button (t1749)

Preflop: Hero is CO with two cards
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t555</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4850</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t4295.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Satellite Bubble Situation Versus David Ross

hmmm
I don t like this 555 bet from MP2.
I would have shove with AT+ and 88+
Old 11-23-2006, 06:08 AM

Shove: AQ+, 1010+

Call: AK, QQ+

Maybe this is too tight, but you're still deep enough where you can nit it up. You don't need chips like crazy yet.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is too tight, but you're still deep enough where you can nit it up. You don't need chips like crazy yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. Way tighter than this. Hero three-betting into a bigger stack with six or seven left and three to pay of a satellite? THe minimum for me would be AK, KK+. His calling range is QQ+ and it should be KK+.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. Way tighter than this. Hero three-betting into a bigger stack with six or seven left and three to pay of a satellite? THe minimum for me would be AK, KK+. His calling range is QQ+ and it should be KK+.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why I don't play sats.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here, but I think this situation is interesting. DR and Hero are both clearly behind the top 3 stacks, who have in a way separated themselves.

In all likelihood, Hero is going to have to gain some chips to make a serious run at 3rd. Ross knows this as well.

Just seems to me that its a little too early for the QQ+ or KK+ stage of the satellite.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, it's like opposite day.

Hero's shoving range should be pretty big, because DR has to call off half his stack and it's more unexploitable than usual in a sat. But this doesn't matter *that* much because sat considerations don't fully apply yet (lots more play to go before the 4 man bubble and everyone has a million BB). Therefore, theoretically, DR has to call somewhat lighter to make up for it. I wouldn't deviate from my normal MTT call range there (never mind what it is, it varies with reads) and maybe even call a shade lighter.

BTW this all assumes Hero plays sats well and pushes lots of stuff (but not so much as to be vulnerable to a big stack LAG behind him deciding TT is good.)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Actually I'm already in 3rd spot here, but not even close to thinking about folding in. I think we started with 27 and we've just made the final table. I'm opening with my normal range here, and my biggest consideration is that if he pushes and I call and lose, I will still have 14 BB's left, so I can afford to take some chances.

It's hard to talk about the hand without giving away what we held, but the ranges being given here are way tighter than I would play. That of course means my calling range gets a lot wider too because I'm not putting him on such a tight range either.

As an aside, I'm much more likely to call a 2+2'er here because they all seem to like to push me around. MLG and Colson are 2 guys who re-raise me unmercifully and almost every time I call it's something like Kx or 87 that they're raising me with. I think I have a weak-tight image in this community.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Even though this is not real late in the satellite, I think you should have a tighter calling range than in an MTT. However, if you suspect villain is making a play due partly to it being a satellite, then you can loosen up.