Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Trips/top kicker vs. limp-reraiser

Actually, the question to me regarding why I play 1-2 usd is not a subject for this thread. But I shall answer it just because I assume there are some readers in this low stakes forum who are quite new to poker and have some ideas to make a living from it.

The swing when multitabling 1-2 is for me around 200-300 usd, earning around 20usd/hour. I do most money from the promotion system.

If I multitabling 5-10, my swing would probably not be less than 3000 usd. I would have to pay more attention to the game, probably multitabling less and face more skillfull opponents. My earning would also be more insecure and rely more from the game than from promotions. I would also have to consider the question of collusion and cheating more serious when the stakes are higher.

Temporarily I play up to 3-6 (few times 5-10) at AP and so far I did not have any problem to beat the game. But my experience from the 2-4 and 3-6 games are limited so I can't say that I would beat the game in the long run. But probably I would, like I also did beat the live game I played for years at 15-30 stakes.

So there are no obvious reason to move up in stakes. I am a grinder who shall secure food at the table and money for the bills. To play 1-2 at AP is for me like a sure bet. If you have poker as your income, you never take any risks. If poker is the game who shall make you rich and famous, forget what I say.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:21 AM

this thread has really gotten weird
Old 11-18-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the question to me regarding why I play 1-2 usd is not a subject for this thread. But I shall answer it just because I assume there are some readers in this low stakes forum who are quite new to poker and have some ideas to make a living from it.

The swing when multitabling 1-2 is for me around 200-300 usd, earning around 20usd/hour. I do most money from the promotion system.

If I multitabling 5-10, my swing would probably not be less than 3000 usd. I would have to pay more attention to the game, probably multitabling less and face more skillfull opponents. My earning would also be more insecure and rely more from the game than from promotions. I would also have to consider the question of collusion and cheating more serious when the stakes are higher.

Temporarily I play up to 3-6 (few times 5-10) at AP and so far I did not have any problem to beat the game. But my experience from the 2-4 and 3-6 games are limited so I can't say that I would beat the game in the long run. But probably I would, like I also did beat the live game I played for years at 15-30 stakes.

So there are no obvious reason to move up in stakes. I am a grinder who shall secure food at the table and money for the bills. To play 1-2 at AP is for me like a sure bet. If you have poker as your income, you never take any risks. If poker is the game who shall make you rich and famous, forget what I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

weird i was just reading this thread thinking of responding, but realized there were results and a second page already. i was very unsure about just calling vs popping again i think with A9 i pop one more. there are about as many K9 Q9 down to 98 combos as 55, but i didnt know what to make of the overlimp reraise( wouldnt he just raise K9s after the limp ect? even 55) i like never see that. I think you can rule out AA KK QQ tho after his river lead, i may call just out of confusion with his preflop play and thereafter trying to put him on a hand we lose to, but at the table on this board im sure i raise call. i definately cap turn still tho.

as far as ur swings are concerned DasBusen if u are the best 1/2 AP player thats saying you have a fairly strong skill level (even tho its 1/2) come on get like 1500 bbs for 2/4 or 3/6 or whatever and the swings wont be a big deal, pokers been my only income for like 7 months rite now and I usually only keep like 800 bbs in and cash out regularly. 5 10 admittedly is a bit tougher opponent wise and the dollar amount swings start to seem more significant but COME ON BRO, im a loser so far at Wpex over 30-40k hands and making like 30 bucks an hour/ 800 bucks a week just cuz of rakeback.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:02 PM

Congratulations from me as well. I had no idea 1/2 was so complex. Not sure I'll ever be a shorthanded winner with an unoveraggro style [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2006, 09:14 PM

I am pretty sure who villain is and thus assuming that after 1500 hands with him you have the same reads that I have. Such reads would include notes of limp-reraising a lot of different hands such as SC's and lower PP's. In addition he is capable of 3-betting e.g. 65s in the BB with 2 Coldcallers of an UTG raise. So his range given the preflop action is certainly wide.

So against this villain I would expect to see AA or KK just about never. A more likely holding is T9s[2], 89s[2], 55[3] and even 33[3]. Against this range a call is obviously optimal.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Quite good read Oink.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure who villain is and thus assuming that after 1500 hands with him you have the same reads that I have. Such reads would include notes of limp-reraising a lot of different hands such as SC's and lower PP's. In addition he is capable of 3-betting e.g. 65s in the BB with 2 Coldcallers of an UTG raise. So his range given the preflop action is certainly wide.

So against this villain I would expect to see AA or KK just about never. A more likely holding is T9s[2], 89s[2], 55[3] and even 33[3]. Against this range a call is obviously optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I don't take notes and go purely by memory. When playing 3-4 tables, I find that constantly taking and reading notes is more distracting than helpful. Or maybe I'm just lazy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2006, 05:53 AM

Detailed notes does not help much in my case. Usually you will find it hard to figure out more precisely what I have. In this 55-hand - given the action - I think that a call on the river should have been normal. But with my style I get a lot of extra action which of course also have psychological roots.

Like in this case:
One seemingly donkish hand was played (about this way) yesterday against a winning regular player.
He raised first in from the button, I three bet with A9o from sb. He called.
Flop 998. I bet, he raised, I 3-bet, he call.
Turn a blank. I bet, he raised, I 3-bet, he called.
River another blank. I bet. He called with AK.

I do not think he played the hand terrible, even the last 2 calls was not too bad against a type of player like me. I could have had a hand like JT. I asked him in the chat if he always call down with AK-high. He said he put me on an A.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think he played the hand terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate why you think his turn raise is fine?

Plz explain what better hands he should put you on that you would fold, and what worse hands you call with besides JT? I cant see any. IMO that turn raise is horrible.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Care to elaborate why you think his turn raise is fine?

Plz explain what better hands he should put you on that you would fold, and what worse hands you call with besides JT? I cant see any. IMO that turn raise is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he played me more than his cards and he know that I would play a lot of hands the way I did which includes holdings he was way in front of (qt,kj,jt or totally nonsense). He also know that I am capable to lay down a hand I was in front of (like a pp). Because of that reason, the turn raise was not too bad.

I would not had play AK the way he did - and I do not think he have any edge in the long run in his play, but that is another issue. I just say that in the context it was not so bad even if it seems to be way out of line.