Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Biggest WTF moments in Sports Awards Voting History

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Troy Glaus over Bonds for world series MVP was really gay even though bonds team lost he was still the most valuable player by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

The team that loses the championship series very rarely wins the playoff MVP award. The only two I can think of are two hockey goalies, Ron Hextall and Guigere (sp?). There's probably a couple others, but it's rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

this whole thread is about the stupidity of voters, not justifing their stupidity
Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Sorry man, why then did the Chargers opt to trust the team to Rivers when Brees had performed so well for them? Because they knew if all else failed they could turn to LT2. Also, Trent Green went down early in the year, and the Chiefs stayed afloat, mostly because Larry Johnson is a beast who can carry the ball 30 times a game without getting hurt. If OTOH, Johnson had gone down, the Chiefs would've been up [censored] creek without a paddle.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry man, why then did the Chargers opt to trust the team to Rivers when Brees had performed so well for them? Because they knew if all else failed they could turn to LT2. Also, Trent Green went down early in the year, and the Chiefs stayed afloat, mostly because Larry Johnson is a beast who can carry the ball 30 times a game without getting hurt. If OTOH, Johnson had gone down, the Chiefs would've been up [censored] creek without a paddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I disagree with your point, but Damon Huard was excellent in replacement...don't ignore that.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,
Break baseball down into two categories
Offense or scoring runs
Defense or preventing runs
Offense is pretty much exclusively hitting
Defense is pitching and fielding
Therefore Hitting > Pitching > Fielding > Baserunning.

A SS or 2b's defense could be more important than a catcher.
As for catching read the link I posted it is very good once you get past the LOLZ ZOMG YOUR STUPID posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just think that the catcher has more to do with preventing runs that most people think(I'm fully willing to admit that I'm not 100% confident of this stance though). I mean, with any young pitcher, I'd assume that most of the time he'd rarely shake off the sign from a veteran catcher. And with Pudge, I'd assume that at least 90% of the time, the pitcher goes with the pitch that he calls. So all of those times where you're like "Wow, the hitter was completely fooled there!" thats due to the catcher. And everytime a hitter is all over a pitch and seemed to know it was coming, thats on the catcher too. I think this is very important for a teams' success. JMHO.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Assani,

Since you have me on ignore I will post for others. I don't think he is considering the difference in skill between major league catchers. Like for example Pudge is great and Yadier is there or possible better, but Molina swings his bat like a girl and Pudge is respectabe. I am on the "MLB catchers don't differ too terribly much."
Old 11-22-2006, 08:49 PM

I don't have you on ignore. I don't understand what you're saying here.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 PM

Assani read the linked thread.
The jist of it is the following,
If I was randomly pulling numbers out of hat to determine the pitch and it's location the pitcher would get crushed. However all major league catchers are relatively equal at game calling the difference if any is miniscule.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Troy Glaus over Bonds for world series MVP was really gay even though bonds team lost he was still the most valuable player by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

The team that loses the championship series very rarely wins the playoff MVP award. The only two I can think of are two hockey goalies, Ron Hextall and Guigere (sp?). There's probably a couple others, but it's rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck Howley of the Cowboys won the Super Bowl MVP the year they lost to the Colts.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember reading something that the mvp was decided before the end of regulation, when cowboys looked to have all the momentum, so for all they knew, they were giving the mvp to the winner. and then colts won in the last second few seconds.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. the cheifs are a perfect example of the opposite of your argument. LJ is just doing the same thing priest did. If he went down then someone else would step in and do it.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. The Chargers let Drew Brees go not because of LT2's goodness, but because they (correctly) thought Philip Rivers was a beast and an absolute steal. Damon Huard has also been beastly for the chiefs thus far.