Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Tesla Rodster - Thoughts

This is the new environmetally-friendly, all electric Tesla Roadster, due in late 2007. What are your thoughts? 250 miles per charge, very fast (4 seconds 0-60), ipod connection, 2 tone interior, carbon fiber, great looks. I'm thinking of getting the reservation for the second group being released in 2008. Thoughts?

http://www.teslamotors.com/styling/body.php
Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Tesla Rodster - Thoughts

This is the first I heard of it. Checking out the website it's definitely a nice looking car, compared to previous generation electric vehicles. I'm VERY sceptical about the longevity of the battery, however. The website claims a 100K mile range before any noticable deterioration in battery life which amounts to 400 charge cycles of 250 miles each. Of course in reality you'll often drive a few miles and then get home and hook up the charger again, basically wasting much of the potential of the battery (much like we currently do with laptops, cell phones and so on). Frankly I'd want to see independent testing showing actual real world battery life in the 5-10 year range before seriously considering an electric vehicle.

Swede
Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 PM

Man, that thing is sweet. If I had $100k to spend (and a house with a garage), I'd be all over it. I love the idea of flying past other cars while not making a sound.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 PM

That car is freaking unbelievable, and it's the only car I would even consider spending that kind of money on if I had it to blow.

B.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Automobile Mag drives the Tesla

Automobile Magazine
<<
... there's a huge push in your back as the car instantly leaps forward, and it feels as if you have been strapped inside a great big radio-controlled scale-model racer. The electric motor spins in its twin ceramic bearings to 13,500 rpm with a pronounced turbine- like whine, and the power seems like it will go on forever.

Despite its weight [all of 2,500 lbs, barely more than my tiny mid 80s MR2 - B.], the Tesla changes direction as quickly as a water strider on a still pond. ...

First gear incorporates strong regenerative braking from the rear wheels, and the taller second gear can cope with driving from rest to the Tesla's top speed of 135 mph.

If you drive the Tesla slowly, you can expect 300 miles of cruising range; if you drive quickly, you might drain the batteries in 200 miles. Just about everyone should be able to get 250 miles of driving. The batteries recharge in about 3.5 hours with special equipment provided by Tesla, but you can simply plug the Roadster into a wall outlet if need be.
>>

This is my dream car at the moment. Such performance, efficiency, and good looks it makes me drool.

You could even justify it somewhat as, not only an investment in the most efficient car on the road, but an investment in the entire future of transportation! Heh heh. Meanwhile you are smoking practically every other sportscar on the road in performance. I would definitely have to join the local sports car club and race that bad boy to show off the performance to all the gear heads.

B.