Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Dealing with blinds in an ante dealer\'s choice

Ok so we're gonna get a big home game going in a couple weeks, probably two tables, with one being dealers choice. How do you handle blinds/antes in a dealer's choice situation? The guys that are setting this up say that the dealer usualy just antes to make it easier. Apparently they don't play games with blinds. So how should I approach calling a flop game like omaha/8 or some kind of draw game that plays with blinds. Should I pay the blinds myself? Or should I just tell them that we're just gonna have to pay our own antes and blinds every round?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Dealing with blinds in an ante dealer\'s choice

Easy.

The cards stay in the current dealers hand. The button stays at the last player who was the button in a SB/BB game.

If the new dealer plays an ante game, you leave the button.

If the new dealer plays a SB/BB game, you move the button and the next 2 people are the SB and BB respectively.

This keeps it fair for all parties regardless of who calls what game.

What will happen is, the deck moves ahead and the button will lag behind, keeping track of who posted a blind the last time where blinds were used.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so we're gonna get a big home game going in a couple weeks, probably two tables, with one being dealers choice. How do you handle blinds/antes in a dealer's choice situation? The guys that are setting this up say that the dealer usualy just antes to make it easier. Apparently they don't play games with blinds. So how should I approach calling a flop game like omaha/8 or some kind of draw game that plays with blinds. Should I pay the blinds myself? Or should I just tell them that we're just gonna have to pay our own antes and blinds every round?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, make the dealer's choice last an entire round +1. Once the button goes around and passes to his left again, the new dealer declares the game.

Second- you could post the BB as the dealer, but if it's not rotating you get screwed over somewhat. Whether dealer position makes up for posting is a question that is game-dependent.

Or just play hold'em and other shared-board games with antes only. Dealer antes for all, just like the other games. Would-be SB goes first PF, dealer goes last. No problem.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What will happen is, the deck moves ahead and the button will lag behind, keeping track of who posted a blind the last time where blinds were used.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the button and the deck could be several players apart for several hands of games with blinds, until the button catches up?

Interesting solution. Maybe a PITA to keep everything moving around, maybe not. However, if I'm going to be in a blind, I'm not calling a blind game... and so the button might lag for a while or even get lapped by the deck?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the button and the deck could be several players apart for several hands of games with blinds, until the button catches up?

Interesting solution. Maybe a PITA to keep everything moving around, maybe not. However, if I'm going to be in a blind, I'm not calling a blind game... and so the button might lag for a while or even get lapped by the deck?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played in home games where there is a second "button" to keep track of who calls the next game. This way you play a complete lap or orbit for each game so the blinds/antees are paid by everyone. Once the dealer button returns to the "orb" the next person is the dealer and calls the next game.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, make the dealer's choice last an entire round +1. Once the button goes around and passes to his left again, the new dealer declares the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, just do this. I've been doing it on my dealer's choice table and it works beautifully. You get to play an orbit of hands and get a feel for a game. If you don't have a button, just pass the deck around. That way everyone gets to try out dealing a possibly new to them game, which is always fun. On top of that, everyone pays the same blinds in an orbit (well, okay, it's a little off since the person who declares plays twice, but so what). I'm also not sure what this "dealer ante" silliness is. If it's an ante game, everyone antes.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also not sure what this "dealer ante" silliness is. If it's an ante game, everyone antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

$2/4 rotation game, what do you make the antes for each player? Say, a quarter?

Unless you like playing with change or small chips, having the dealer antes $2 is a chip-savvy solution.

Get it now?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:30 PM

Ah, got it. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

$2/4 rotation game, what do you make the antes for each player? Say, a quarter?

Unless you like playing with change or small chips, having the dealer antes $2 is a chip-savvy solution.

Get it now?

[/ QUOTE ]

We also used to do this so that there was never any argument over who didn't ante up - the dealer is always responsible so if the pot is short to start it comes from the dealer's stack no questions asked...