Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Is it inevitable that poker bots will eventually be the majority?

if you play minbet holdem, you should be worried. in 10 years all the old people who donate will be dead, and all that will be left is pros and bots.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One solution -- and I'm not sure I should be giving this idea away for free [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] -- would be for the major sites to provide their own hardware to the players. Instead of playing on a PC (which a bot could also run on), players would play on relatively cheap little dedicated PokerStars machines not much more complicated than an iPod. And the machine's operating system will allow it to run only the PokerStars software. It would connect wirelessly.

A person could still have a bot running on a PC next to him as he plays on the PokerStars machine, but he'd have to input all of the cards and hand histories into the PC manually, and then act in turn on the PokerStars machine manually . . . which is probably impractical.

(Even apart from the bot problem, I think a small dedicated poker client would be worthwhile, if they can be made cheaply enough, for people who want to play on PokerStars or wherever when they are away from home, and do not have a laptop. I'd pay $350 for a mini PokerStars machine that I could take with me anywhere -- it should be much smaller and more convenient than a laptop running Windows.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now my bot just needs a hardware component (someway to press keys and read the screen. Neither is super hard). If I can make 1 million dollars a year by running my bot I can afford to spend a lot of money on hardware.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 AM

NL or Limit, makes no difference as all humans are programmed too. It's just a matter of putting those formulas into the bot and it will play as well as the best humans and better as it will calculate more accurately (more accurate, faster) and it makes no tactical mistakes (blunders). Humans have no chance, the bots will take over and humans will stop existing.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now my bot just needs a hardware component (someway to press keys and read the screen. Neither is super hard). If I can make 1 million dollars a year by running my bot I can afford to spend a lot of money on hardware.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I wanted, I could empty your bank account just starting out from knowing your username on here, you can't stop crime or the potential of crime, but if you make it hard few people find it worthwhile.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL or Limit, makes no difference as all humans are programmed too. It's just a matter of putting those formulas into the bot and it will play as well as the best humans and better as it will calculate more accurately (more accurate, faster) and it makes no tactical mistakes (blunders). Humans have no chance, the bots will take over and humans will stop existing.

[/ QUOTE ]How do you program intuition? All great players have this to some degree.Every good player knows the math and numbers,but there is a feel for things humans have.Some have more or less of this,but it cannot be taught or programmed,and to deny that this exists is false.Thats why bots have been more successful in limit obviously.The math and numbers are the same in NL as they are in limit but the level of intuition a player must have to succeed in limit is obviously minimal.So yes,it does make a difference "Limit or NL".
Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Had the pleasure to find 4 identical bots playing on WPEX low limits. Kinda weird stats (35/15 with 66% WSD), but all of them raked in the money at a 20BB/100 rate over a few thousand hands.

I mailed WPEX support about it and they told me that one of the bots was a "professional player". I guess his twin brothers were professional players also.

What can I say about it? Idiots!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I wanted, I could empty your bank account just starting out from knowing your username on here, you can't stop crime or the potential of crime, but if you make it hard few people find it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one scary dude.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TRUE AI

[/ QUOTE ]
>100 years, IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a huge underestimation based on the rate of technological advancements at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TRUE AI

[/ QUOTE ]
>100 years, IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

better question...when will bots overrun B&M tables? Or does this somehow correlate to when true AI emerges. I bet Johnny 5 can kick some poker ass!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, we are talking about 10 years from now. It is very possible that people can program bots that are better than themselves by then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone considered the possibility that, in ten years, the bots might be the ones programming the bots?