Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Difference WSOP vs EPT

I just qualified for the EPT Copenhagen and was wondering how the skilllevel here differs with that of the main event of the WSOP.
I qualified for the WSOP last summer and didn't find most of the opposition better than me and there were actually a lot of donks splashing chips around. Can i expect this at the EPT as well or will I be faced with a lot stronger field of players. I know the answer will probably be yes but I would like to know how big a difference.
And I heard that they don't offer cashgames and only sit and go's, is this true and what forms/buy-ins do they offer.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Difference WSOP vs EPT

I guess the buyin/pricepool is more important for the competition then where the tournament is held.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 AM

I've only played in the EPT final event, but know people who have played in both EPT and WSOP. The consensus is that the players are a lot more serious in the EPT. Fewer no hopers enter just because they can afford it. I found the play to be typically tight aggresive in the early stages and any loose aggresive players you meet are probably going to be thinking players rather than out and out maniacs.
I found the older pros to be too tight with short stacks, but the younger scandie players knoq when to move.
That was a 10K buyin rather than a 5K one so I'd suspect your field will be slightly weaker, but not by much.

I don't have any more experience of large buy in events so my advice may be alittle off the mark, though I think it's probably a fare summary.
In Monte Carlo there were no cash games and the sit and gos ranged generally between 100 euros and a thousand, with a better structure the more you were playing. Anything less than 200 euros was a crapshoot. However there were higher buyins. Greg raymer, Joe Hatcham and the like did play a 10,000, 20,000 and one 30,000 euro game, as well as chinese poker at 1000 euros a point!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:12 AM

There will also be a handful of 500 and 1000 euro multi table tournaments, with 5k in chips.