Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 06:41 PM

Default When to make it 3 bets preflop on CO/Button in an aggressive game.

I am fairly certain I have made a similar post before but I need a new one cause I can't find it.

I need a range of hands all would consider a good 3 bet preflop under the following conditions: 1. There is one player who has brought it in with a bet from any of the MP positions, no other players are in the hand. 2. Player who brought in for the raise is not in EP, not a rock, and not a maniac, somewhere in between, tight aggressive - semi loose aggressive, will raise on average 8% or more of the time preflop. 3. You are in the Cutoff or on the Button, and a 3 bet is likely to get it heads up maybe 3 way action from one of the blinds 20% of the time.

I think I let to many hands go in this spot where I would of raised had no one else came in or at least no one come in for a raise, and I feel I am loosing some decent opportunities.

Just to give you an idea I would usually make it 3 bets with the following:
AA - JJ
AKs, AK.

Would call half / 3 bet half with:
AQs, AQ, AJs, KQs.

Whats a good range of hands in this situation to 3 bet with?

How much am I missing out on by not making it 3 bets more often?

Let me know what you guys got.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Re: When to make it 3 bets preflop on CO/Button in an aggressive game.

In this situation, I'll normally 3-bet pairs down to 99, AKs-AJs, AKo/AQo and KQs.

I'm basically never coldcalling in this spot. I'm facing a middle-position open-raise from somebody who is presumably position-aware, and I can reasonably expect to get it HU if I 3-bet. And since I'm in LP, the pot isn't going to be particularly mutiway if I just coldcall. I can't think of any reason why I would just call with any hand here; if I'm going to play, I want to get it HU.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Against the opponent you describe, I'll generally 3bet with AA-77, and AK-AQ (offsoot or sooted). I'll sometimes 3bet with all kinds of ill s**t, particularly if I know my opponent to be a straightforward player who is capable of folding a decent A high UI.

There are a ton of variables involved in determining how much you're missing by coldcalling instead of 3betting. Just remember that you always stand a better chance of winning a heads up pot than a multiway one, and that with position postflop, your 3bet puts the onus on the initial raiser to have/make a hand...which can often win you a pot where you might have chopped or lost at showdown. It also generally makes it easier to play your hand postflop.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of any reason why I would just call with any hand here; if I'm going to play, I want to get it HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both blinds are insanely loose & passive and we're holding something like QJs or JTs.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 AM

Im no fan of cold calling either, I would rather pass on the hand than cold call. Just curious if im losing anything by passing with a hand like AQo or TT or or AJs.