Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Poker won Virginia.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from VA. I would have voted for Allen except for the Bill Frist Friday Night Massacre. That and a couple IM's from Senator Foley to a page got me to vote for Webb.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Allen being a racist pig?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a plus in virginia

EDIT: i live in south carolina... its a joke :P
Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WooIsMe,
OP is not saying Webb won purely off of poker votes but that this issue helped him much more than Allen. Proponents are much more likely to already be voting Allen for the reasons u stated. Opponents could be drawn from Allen voters or from people who wouldn't have voted at all. OP is merely stating that without this issue Webb may have lost because the election was so close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have stated my opinion better. The election was decided by 6,000 votes or so, which means that only 3000 voters would need to swing from 1 candidate to the other to change the outcome of the election. It is estimated that 60,000,000 americans play poker (1 out of 5) which means there are approx. 1,000,000 people playing poker in Virginia (live or online) if the poker issue caused only one half of one percent of these people to change their vote to Webb... that would have made the difference. I would be willing to bet that of the million people that play poker in Virginia, the number that consider themselves serious players, and consider this game one of the most importanat things in their life is far greater than one half of one percent.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is estimated that 60,000,000 americans play poker (1 out of 5) which means there are approx. 1,000,000 people playing poker in Virginia (live or online)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just plain silly. Link to this stat, please?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Default macaca and deer head in black family\'s mail won virginia

The racist pig miscalculated. He thought using a racist code word and letting out the story of his college exploit would get out the redneck hate vote. Apparently there are less haters than he hoped. Even in Virginia.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:41 AM

Default Re: macaca and deer head in black family\'s mail won virginia

i think getting blasted by jon stewart on the daily show lost him the election
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I understand exactly how the bill was passed. I also understand that the Dems made no serious effort to complain about how the online gambling ban was tied to it. Instead, they happily voted for it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. Added to this is that some politicians didn't even know such a bill was added on. This was done in a very underhanded way, and it's already been explained earlier how this was much more of a Republican slanted "trick." I admire your need to defend Republicans as I have been a Republican since I could vote. But, it's very obvious to everyone that Republicans are mostly at fault here.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which party has been crusading against online gaming for nearly 11 years? HINT: It's not the Democrats

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure. Poker players help elect donkeys into office.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have figured that.. I love Donkeys!!! except when they hit that 6%
Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to believe that there are 300,000 people who play online poker in Virginia. And even if there were - and 1/10th of them voted - there is no reason to believe that they voted Democratic, let alone did so because of that single issue. Most of them probably have no clue who was responsible for passing the law (if they are aware of the law at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the state had 300,000 people who played online, the state would be running it's own poker site.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: macaca and deer head in black family\'s mail won virginia

[ QUOTE ]
The racist pig miscalculated. He thought using a racist code word and letting out the story of his college exploit would get out the redneck hate vote. Apparently there are less haters than he hoped. Even in Virginia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Webb only carried one district outside of the metropolitan areas of Virginia(I believe it was Albemarle). If we had an electoral college type of system on the state level, Allen would probably be in.

People are overestimating the power of the poker lobby. Even if we use the stat of 1m poker players in the state, the majority of them are not online players but social "Friday night game" players. And of the ones who are online players, very few of them are going to have that influence their vote - mainly the ones who make a significant side income or all of their income from poker. Personally, I fall into the latter category, but that did not influence my vote as there are other issues which are more important to me.