Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 06:35 AM

Default The apple of her eye.

Am I the only one on earth (besides Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow) who thinks that Apple is an amazing name for a daughter? Little Apple. The Apple of my eye. Apple went to play with her buddies. So freaking cute. Even when Apple grows up, it still has an endearing quality to it. Yes, I'm a guy, and no I'm not gay. Begin the flaming wars anyways though. Many of the girls (and seemingly all of the guys) I hang out with think Apple is a terrible name for a human child. Some argue that its "gimmicky" and wont stand the test of time, and that it can be muddled with a cold, commercial aura due to the computer company that shares the name. I detach it from the company when I think about it as a name for a girl, and I think its warm, unique and has a classic feel that will "stand the test of time." I enjoy Apple and a few of the other celebrity baby names, such as:

- Maddox, son of Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton. I might be fond of this name because Maddox of "The Best Page In The Universe" is a genius. The name Maddox also sounds bold/brutal. Don't test Maddox.
- Seven, son of Erykah Badu. Joked about on Seinfeld before it really happened. Imposes strength and mystery. Erykah named her daughter Puma, which would be cool but it seems tarnished by its image as a name brand, far more so than Apple.
- Willow, daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Conveys grace and innocence in my mind.
- Piper Maru, daughter of Gillian Anderson and Clyde Clotz. Sounds adorable. Gillian Anderson is hot.
- Suri, daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Everyone hates on scientology and TomKat and all the rest of the madness and seem to lash out at everything associated with them, but I think this is an elegant, intriguing name.

A couple celebrity baby names that are terrible and make me cringe:
Banjo - son of Rachel Griffiths and Andrew Taylor. Seems overly hillbilly. Also reminds me of a large goofy bear, with sidekick Kazooie.
Blue Angel - daughter of Dave Evans (U2). Encapsulates the energy of the 80's in a frightening way.

I used to think Trinity was a neat name for a girl when I was infatuated with the Matrix and from knowing about the trinity and its biblical significance, but after a buddy of mine named his daughter that (specifically after the movie character) it came across as tacky as a human name.

What are your thoughts on these "crazy" baby names, and the many others out there? Which ones have revolted you? Which ones do you secretly cherish? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Re: The apple of her eye.

The reason I would never name my kid some outlandish name is that I don't think it's fair that every time they meet someone that person will make assumptions about them immediately based on the name alone. I'd like to give my kids as much of a clean slate as possible.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 AM

Name your daughter Man.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 AM

All those names are retarded.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to give my kids as much of a clean slate as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting...because its often true, when you hear a wacky name you sometimes hear the "wow her parents must have been hippies" joke or something along those lines...

But if everyone around you had names that were able to provide clean slates, wouldn't the collective be entirely too bland?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 AM

Piper Maru is the name of an X-Files episode.

Yes, I was THAT big a fan.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:27 AM

I don't mind Suri and Trinity. The rest suck.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I would never name my kid some outlandish name is that I don't think it's fair that every time they meet someone that person will make assumptions about them immediately based on the name alone. I'd like to give my kids as much of a clean slate as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and her sister both have gender-neutral names because their parents didn't want people to discriminate based on gender when they sent out resumes/CVs 18/22 years in the future. It makes sense, but that seems so calculating when you're talking about naming your children.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Don't forget Moon Unit and Dweezil. Was Frank Zappa the first to start giving his offspring strange names?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Puma is a stripper name.