Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 01:28 AM

Default LIVE 1/3NL AQs OTB at Treasure Island in Vegas

Hello all,

Just wanted to solicit some feedback on a hand that came up last night at TI in Vegas. It is 1/3NL with $100-$500 buy in.

SB = John Q Young Tourist. Fairly aggressive post flop, but very passive preflop. Doesn't pay much attention to position. Comes in with most suited cards and any big cards from any position. Limps quite a bit from all positions. Has about $145.

UTG: Loose aggressive local. Huge swings. Gus Hansen mentality. Limps in on 90%+ hands preflop, and runs if he catches, but folds otherwise. Has about $450.

MP = Tourist, but not of the common variety. Has not spoken a word since sitting down an hour ago (reason possibly that he might not speak English). Tends to run with any ace. Cold calls a LOT of PF raises, and even flop bets with an any ace mentality. Has only called, and never raised on the few hands he has played. Usually mucks on river if beaten (without showing). One hand he showed down was A7s, beating another guys KK. Cold called a raise with it, and called a pot size flop bet with his TP7K. Has not raised PF once. Has About $185.

Button: Hero with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with about $575 (covering all).

UTG Limps
MP limps
LP Limps
Cutoff Limps
Hero (button) I raise to $20 straight (standard raise considering the limpers)

SB: Calls the raise
UTG: Calls the Raise
MP: Calls the Raise
Everyone else folded.

Four players to the flop. About $86 pot so far.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked around to me.

This is where I think I made a mistake. Normally, in this situation, I would drop in a pot size bet. However, knowing the Any Two Card mentality of the UTG, I was hesitant. He is the type to check raise the flop with Two pair or better, and possibly a flush draw, regardless of size of bet from PFR. My thinking was that I can all the info I need with this bet. If he raises, I am probably beaten. If he calls, he is drawing. He will fold if he has nothing, despite the less then pot size flop bet.

I bet out $30.00. Pot had about $85 prior to my bet.

SB: Check raises all in for $121 total ($91 more)
UTG: Insta folds.
MP: Flat calls the $121, with about $45 behind

Hero: ?

I realize that my move here is/was very read dependant. I will admit that my largest concern was the UTG, prior to anything. But now that he was out of the picture, it left me with two virtual unknowns, and a rather precarious situation. My biggest fear, obviously, was AJ. I also wouldn't put "all in with flush draw" past the SB. The MP could really have anything. Gutshot straight, AJ, A4, a flush draw or a dry Ace (being a true calling station that he was).

I will post what I actually did and the end result shortly.

Thanks, in advance for any insight.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: LIVE 1/3NL AQs OTB at Treasure Island in Vegas

Bet the flop more, the hand plays different
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop more

[/ QUOTE ]

As played, I still can't wait to get the monies in, with these reads.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop more, the hand plays different

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Although I had specific reasons for betting the $30, it was much too short. Especially given my betting pattern of betting the pot after raising preflop. This looked like a weak bet (or it could have looked like a monster, depending on hoe you look at it). It definately could have played out differently if I bet out $85 instead of $30. Thank you for posting.

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I still can't wait to get the monies in, with these reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I only had one of two moves to make here. All in or Fold. I had $50 total invested in this hand, and it would cost me $166 more to put MP all in. The pot had about $320 at this point with the all in and the call.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had $50 total invested in this hand, and it would cost me $166 more to put MP all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean $136 more, don't you? Anyway, the reason we can't wait to get the monies in is that we're way ahead of MPs range, and are most often winning the side pot. So even if SB has us beat frequently, we're not that worried, because we're getting sick odds.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 AM

My bad. Mathematical miscalculation. Forgot to include the flop bet as already being in there.

Thank you for the feedback thus far. I will respond in more detail to your analysis tomorrow morning with what I was thinking and what I ended up doing.