Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM

Default A table I could not beat.

I am playing in a 80 player NLH tourney. I have been at this table at the start for about an hour. I picked up the blinds once. And picked up a straight (QT with a J high straight on the board). So I had a very comfortable stack to play with. Another hour goes by bad getting nothing but bad cards so my stack is begining to loose value. We have picked up a few players with big stacks. I begin to look for an opportunity for a play. KQ from the bb shows up. It is folded to a "hunch" player in middle position who calls and then it is folded to me. I know "hunch" to becapable of folding but he does have a habit of calling a barking dog off a poarch. I raise the pot to X3 big blind which he calls. The flop is a rainbow of low cards without straight possibilities. I make a continuation bet of 2X pot which he calls. He has me covered but not by much and about half my stack is in the pot. I consider he may have any pair and know he will call to the river with any pair, I also consider he may have a weak A or K. The turn is another blank, I check and he checks. I think that he is worse off than I at this time, and plan a bet on the river if no over card falls. River is an ace, I check and he checks and shows A5. He smirks, I am forced to look for a hand and then do the push bot thing when the blinds increase and join the other loosers on the rail.

I hate this hand because I was at the mercy of the deck after the flop. More bets get called so that is not of use. I am forced to pray for a K or Q on the river or at least no A while knowing that the river could pair him with anything and beat me.

How do I play this hand better? Did I play it weak, too strong?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: A table I could not beat.

if you don't think a c-bet will fold any hand you beat (any pair, ace high) then it's not worth c-betting after the flop.

Your c-bet was also too big, it should be 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, not 2x the pot.

check it down when you miss and value bet him to death when you hit.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:40 PM

If you know the guy is a calling station, why raise to 3xBB OOP with a hand that is about as good as what he probably has? Why cbet 3xpot?

Preflop check or make it 5xBB.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Looks like I overplayed the hand. Anyone disagree? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:45 PM

check pre, flop top pair and value bet him or check/fold, you dont beat calling stations by pushing them off small pots