Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 05:35 AM

Default Antoher .5- 1$ spot. Whats my line.

This seeemed like REALLY weird flop action. I couldnt put SB on AA here. Both are kinda shortstacked, convinced myself to fold which im fine with bust because I couldn't thik of hads id beat over the next 2 cards against 2 people.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $70.50
UTG+1: $16.50
MP1: $103.10
MP2: $55.15
MP3: $104.55
Hero: $98
Button: $160.20
SB: $45.70
BB: $38

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with :2s :qd :ah :7d
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, [color=#cc0000]SB raises to $7</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: :7c :9h :as ($24, 3 players)
[color=#cc0000]SB bets $24</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

Turn: :6c ($72, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]SB is all-in $14.7</font>, UTG calls.

River: :6h ($101.4, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $101.4)

Results:
Final pot: $101.4
Old 11-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Antoher .5- 1$ spot. Whats my line.

This isn't the place to go monkeying around. Good fold.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 AM

first, what are you hoping to flop with this hand? your high potential is not very good, and you're likely against one or two other A2xx hands -- and they may have better redraws. furthermore, since the pf raiser is short-stacked, your implied odds suck even if he showed you the AAxx and you know he'll pay you off. as such, i'd actually consder folding this pf. the only way i'd be really want to continue to play with this hand is if i was absolutely certain i could outplay both villains after the flop.

that being said, if you're willing to play this for a raise, i'd do the raising myself pf and try to outplay villains post-flop. that requires some skill and good reads, though.

once you call, it's easy to let this go on the flop.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:00 PM

kuso do you play like 3% of hands?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM

Fold is fine. It wouldn't surprise me if SB has something like A23 or A24, where he's flopped a pair of aces and a draw to low and is betting hard to try and either take it down now or else get HU with someone who is unlikely to beat him both ways if the low comes. So you may well have the high, but with no chance at the low I still like your fold.

Kuso - if you know the SB will overplay AAxx, you certainly have implied odds to call. This isn't hold'em where you need to hit the flop insanely hard to beat AA... also, while this isn't a great A2xx hand, I think there are plenty of flops I don't mind - any lows (that don't counterfeit my low) esp. with a seven or a couple diamonds, two to a low with a queen, AQx, ... so I don't see folding this preflop most of the time. Maybe if I have enough experience with SB to know that he only raises 3% of his hands preflop.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first, what are you hoping to flop with this hand? your high potential is not very good, and you're likely against one or two other A2xx hands -- and they may have better redraws. furthermore, since the pf raiser is short-stacked, your implied odds suck even if he showed you the AAxx and you know he'll pay you off. as such, i'd actually consder folding this pf. the only way i'd be really want to continue to play with this hand is if i was absolutely certain i could outplay both villains after the flop.

that being said, if you're willing to play this for a raise, i'd do the raising myself pf and try to outplay villains post-flop. that requires some skill and good reads, though.

once you call, it's easy to let this go on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was going to post nearly the exact same thing.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kuso do you play like 3% of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

rotflmao -

30-35% when 3-tabling, 20-25% when 6- or 8-tabling.

i just know how to extract value -- playing this hand this way is not a good way to do that.

note that personally i would have raised this pf -- but being the aggressor is VERY different than being a caller of a relatively big raise that has been overcalled.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold is fine. It wouldn't surprise me if SB has something like A23 or A24, where he's flopped a pair of aces and a draw to low and is betting hard to try and either take it down now or else get HU with someone who is unlikely to beat him both ways if the low comes. So you may well have the high, but with no chance at the low I still like your fold.

Kuso - if you know the SB will overplay AAxx, you certainly have implied odds to call. This isn't hold'em where you need to hit the flop insanely hard to beat AA... also, while this isn't a great A2xx hand, I think there are plenty of flops I don't mind - any lows (that don't counterfeit my low) esp. with a seven or a couple diamonds, two to a low with a queen, AQx, ... so I don't see folding this preflop most of the time. Maybe if I have enough experience with SB to know that he only raises 3% of his hands preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

these threads are reminding me why i don't like to post at 2p2.

it's probably -EV for me to make the players here less fishy, but, well, i can't really resist. not that anyone will pay attention anyway.

first, regrading implied odds. SB only has $38 remaining after the pfr. so you have to flop a hand that beats him AND have it hold up. furthermore, you can only put pressure on SB on the flop, but he gets to play first. if he bets. you're just calling or raising a trivial amount (for the remainder of SBs stack) that will without a doubt get called. this hand can be played profitably WITH AGGRESSION, but if your plan is to show this down for value a majority of the time, well... good luck.

the range of flops that you suggest you like are ok... but just ok. in a 3-way hand, most of them are not very good. in fact, i think most of them are trap hands with which you end up winning a small pot or losing a big one. the flop i'd want to see is Q7low or Q79 -- way too narrow. these are the only kinds of flops that you should really like your hand. the flush cards are better as blockers and backdoors than actual flopped flushes or draws. the single pair hands you mention could end up drawing to half the pot against AA with only a small chance of improvement on later streets vs AA. i won't even bother talking about the fact that most of the hands that "help" you hand also work towards a low and/or help out AAxx.

also, as a side note, 3% pfr or less is very common in plo8. this is especially true out of the SB. i may have incorrectly assumed that villain was not an overly aggressive player, but one would hope that OP would have mentioned that.

fwiw, change the 7 to anything but an 8, 9, or maybe 6, then i think calling is much easier since the hand will be much more dynamic.

regarding the HE comment, hhhhmmmmm... while i agree with you in principle, i can't say that the comparison makes sense in this hand. again, very weak implied odds due to SBs short stack, your low is very likely duplicated in one or more spots, you have janky back-up to your low, etc. this specific hand has to hit the flop in a very narrow range for hero to really like shoveling all of his money in, imho.