Old 11-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: *The Definitive Hourly Rate Thread*

-10$/hr over the past 200 hours
Old 11-18-2006, 10:13 AM

yeah seriously, who plays 40hrs a week... i think 28/week is pretty solid
Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM

I made $160/hour last 50k hands at 2/4 on party, some 3/6 (3-6tabling).

[ QUOTE ]
Over last 60k hands at 2/4 i'm making about 217/h 6 tabling on PP

[/ QUOTE ]

So wich of the lagtards that keep 3betting me are you? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Im gonna guess T_E_A_B, as hes the only one I felt was really good and your winrate is sick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 PM

45311 hands of $400 NL, $251.88/hour, 5.18 MT ratio, 83.27 hours total.

EDIT: Though I'm pretty sure PT overestimates how much I've won. I think maybe I sometimes leave tables when annoyed, before the entire hand is saved? Either that, or I'm cashing out whilst drunk.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:47 PM

I have made way too much for the last 400 hours. Variance is a blessing.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm also convinced a lot of these numbers are pure [censored].

$500 an hour = $960,000 a year playing 40 hours a week
$200 an hour = $384,000 a year etc

Are people really making $400k a year at $200nl. Give me a [censored] break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most of these guys are BSing. One guy was arguing with me on the "News, Views, Gossip" board a few months ago. He was going on and on about how he was going to make $500K this year and could easily make $1 million if he quit his job. Fast-forward a few months later and he's making a post on the Psychology board about how he is "running bad" and has dropped to $1/$2 NL. LOL! I think this guy, like most of the jokers on these boards, was taking his winrate over something like a 3-month period and extrapolating it over a whole year. Poker don't work that way. So, when you see these outrageous win rates, it's usually some lagtard who ran hot over the last couple of months or so and now thinks he will continue to kill the game at that rate forever. Not. Read fishtwoplustwo's (used to be KaneKungFu) to learn about the bad side of variance.

Plus, most of the winrates in this thread were posted back when Party allowed US players. That site is no longer as fishy and winrates will come down accordingly.

Additionally, pokertracker isn't accurate. If you leave a table right after you lose a hand, that hand isn't recorded by pokertracker. So, say a player gets stacked and leaves the table right away out of frustration, well, that hand isn't recorded. That can really jack up a player's win rate. I'm going to LMAO in April when these guys go to pay taxes. Pokertracker will show $100K won during 2006. The player will then pay $30K in taxes and then have no money left because $30K was actually all they won for the year. Oops.

On the other hand, there are some really good players here with really good win rates. Players like EM2, Bedwetter, CaptZeeBob, GreenPlastic and others. Those guys most likely do actually make several $100K per year. Most guys down here at $2/$4 and $3/$6 are not going to crack $100K over an entire year, especially now that the PartyPoker fish farm has been de-stocked by the US government.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 PM

good post. there were a few points i found interesting:

[ QUOTE ]
I think this guy, like most of the jokers on these boards, was taking his winrate over something like a 3-month period and extrapolating it over a whole year.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think that's true with some people. look at younghov. he's bitched about running bad for 5 of the 6 months i've been posting on this board. the one month he ran good he kept talking [censored] about how he was the best player ever and this and that. now he's on a 40 something buyin downswing. LOL. i remember when i used to run hot i would sit in class and calculate how much money i could make for the year based based on how i'd run the last month. or sometimes i'll keep going back to dates and look at PT so it's as pretty as possible. that type of stuff has been harmful for me emotionally.

[ QUOTE ]

Additionally, pokertracker isn't accurate. If you leave a table right after you lose a hand, that hand isn't recorded by pokertracker. So, say a player gets stacked and leaves the table right away out of frustration, well, that hand isn't recorded.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i've noticed several tags do that but i didn't realize that was why. but it makes a lot of sense. out of sight, out of mind.

[ QUOTE ]

Most guys down here at $2/$4 and $3/$6 are not going to crack $100K over an entire year, especially now that the PartyPoker fish farm has been de-stocked by the US government.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that's true

i find these threads interesting. there's a lot of strategy talk on here but not much in the way of psychology and tilt management. all emotional problems i have in poker, like my mental state while running bad, not playing much out of fear, fear of moving up, etc. are related to these expectations i have for myself. when i have stretches where i run well, i'll sit on my computer and gawk at all my PT numbers. but then i get scared to play because i might tarnish these pretty numbers. then when i run bad, i feel even worse because i've looked at my hugely inflated numbers in the past and now they look and feel even worse than they are.

i remember a long time ago on MHUSH, several people had a bet on who could go the longest without checking pokertracker for results. they'd just do their job and play poker, and expect the results to come in time. i think that's something that could probably help all of us cope with the swings in this game.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm also convinced a lot of these numbers are pure [censored].

$500 an hour = $960,000 a year playing 40 hours a week
$200 an hour = $384,000 a year etc

Are people really making $400k a year at $200nl. Give me a [censored] break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most of these guys are BSing. One guy was arguing with me on the "News, Views, Gossip" board a few months ago. He was going on and on about how he was going to make $500K this year and could easily make $1 million if he quit his job. Fast-forward a few months later and he's making a post on the Psychology board about how he is "running bad" and has dropped to $1/$2 NL. LOL! I think this guy, like most of the jokers on these boards, was taking his winrate over something like a 3-month period and extrapolating it over a whole year. Poker don't work that way. So, when you see these outrageous win rates, it's usually some lagtard who ran hot over the last couple of months or so and now thinks he will continue to kill the game at that rate forever. Not. Read fishtwoplustwo's (used to be KaneKungFu) to learn about the bad side of variance.

Plus, most of the winrates in this thread were posted back when Party allowed US players. That site is no longer as fishy and winrates will come down accordingly.

Additionally, pokertracker isn't accurate. If you leave a table right after you lose a hand, that hand isn't recorded by pokertracker. So, say a player gets stacked and leaves the table right away out of frustration, well, that hand isn't recorded. That can really jack up a player's win rate. I'm going to LMAO in April when these guys go to pay taxes. Pokertracker will show $100K won during 2006. The player will then pay $30K in taxes and then have no money left because $30K was actually all they won for the year. Oops.

On the other hand, there are some really good players here with really good win rates. Players like EM2, Bedwetter, CaptZeeBob, GreenPlastic and others. Those guys most likely do actually make several $100K per year. Most guys down here at $2/$4 and $3/$6 are not going to crack $100K over an entire year, especially now that the PartyPoker fish farm has been de-stocked by the US government.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ paying too much taxes because of PT screw up.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Brucey,

'Yeah, most of these guys are BSing. One guy was arguing with me on the "News, Views, Gossip" board a few months ago. He was going on and on about how he was going to make $500K this year'

Please point out where I said this, or STFU.

Also, have you ever considered that I was playing some 1/2NL cos I'd never played NL before and wanted my initial 'lessons' not to be too expensive? Its also pretty standard for people who are running bad to drop down dramatically in stakes, see BicycleKick playing 10/20 limit right now.

Really you have no idea wtf you are talking about. Fwiw my hourly rate over the *entire year* is easily enough to make $500k a year if I had any kind of work ethic, sorry to diappoint.

Thx!

Dean