Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you receive the 15% february payment from RTR.
Yes 3 5.17%
No 55 94.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Re: How tough are you?

[ QUOTE ]
Martial arts training,unless its of a VERY high level, doesn't do much good in streetfights, you're do close to each other and hitting so fast that stamina, strength and most importantly having the will to do whatever it takes to win, without having to conciously put yourself in this mindset, are what matters most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the right kind of martial arts training is almost immediately applicable. If you're an orange belt learning katas in some McDojo, I doubt you're gonna be much of a favorite over a random dude. However, if you've taken even a month of Krav Maga or Jeet Kune Do in a good school, then you're definitely going to learn some valuable material.

I punch a lot harder than I used to since I started learning Jeet Kune Do. I also kick harder, have better balance, more stamina, and more confidence. How is this of zero value in a streetfight?

I see where you are coming from. Training is never going to exactly replicate the situations you will encounter in real life. However, to the extent that your training approximates reality, you are going to benefit.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason you don't see too many karate and TKD experts in the MMA world, they're not a very effective fighting art.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's because the best TKD (actually TSD, I believe) guy is Chuck Norris, and allowing him to compete wouldn't be fair to the other styles.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
agression is by far the biggest factor imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And heart/tolerance for pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

def. true.
Im like 185cm 70kg (what is that 6 feet 160lbs or something?)

During my childhood my dad used to beat me pretty heavy and i developed a pretty tolerance for pain. When i've been in fights later I've sensed that I can take pain MUCH better than your averge joe. I think this is a very important factor. ANd having been in fights/getting beat up REALLY helps.

I'm in the 10-20 og 20-30 tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most likely 10-20.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:32 AM

i seriously think martial artist have NO chance vs a street fighter. i said i took TKW earlier but i think you guys misunderstood, ive been in many street fights, few last over 10 seconds and I never even think of kicking.

just like in poker, in fighting the shorter the fight the less chance a martial artist is gonna have, if you bring the fight in close and are dirty boxing how will martial arts training mean anything?? you expect some jiu jitsu guy to roll on pavement? yeh buddy try and trianle choke me and get slammed down on pavement.

those UFC floors are padded and not made of concrete and you arent wearing street clothes and you have on gloves(though small).

the biggest benefit is do you work out, i know if two versions of myself fight, one thats in shape and been lifting and another who doesnt lift it would be a slaughter. being in shape and not a pussy is the real trump card, not martial arts.

how many street fights have you seen ended with a kick? hell how many UFC first round knockouts are by kick? not many and only when someone leans into it.

Basically my opinion in short
if you are a natural at boxing you can probably whup 95% of the world in a reasonable weight range without any training if you lift.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:49 AM

put 60-70%
im 6 foot and 250, im usually a very calm guy but when i get into a physical altercation i go psychotic
been in 2 fights in my life due to someone threatening a relative of mine both during a basketball game in a alley, prolly woulda seriously hurt the first guy if i did the last hit over the head with the trash can
Old 11-18-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how many street fights have you seen ended with a kick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw one once. Hook kick to the head, game over.

The guy kicking was a state open division karate champ and that was his favourite point scoring technique.

Also am I worried about seriously injuring/killing the guy in this hypothetical? That makes a big difference.

If there were no consequences/rules I reckon 1/10 people would give me trouble. 15+ years of MA, multiple arts, pretty fit. MA being useless in close depends a lot on the art and level of study too. At advanced levels in most arts you learn a lot more joint/vital point manipulation and all around dirty tricks.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:40 AM

I wrestled in school, have a high pain threshold, and have absolutely no qualms about fighting dirty.

However, I'm in [censored] condition and am pushing 40. I'd need to end it quickly or I'd run out of steam.

So I picked 50-60%.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:45 AM

Also am I worried about seriously injuring/killing the guy in this hypothetical? That makes a big difference.

i agree 100% with this, i dont fight with reckless abandon and put 100% into everything. I always hold back and try to just beat the guy up or render him helpless but dont try to hurt them. Heard too many horror stories and ive seen a guy have seisures when my brother hit him. if i went up against a person on my level it might cost me big if they didnt hold back.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 AM

I've seen this thread had bumped quite a few times...

That said, I think the greatest overestimation in this thread is fitness.

Most fights are extremely anaerobic to the point of most training, aka almost non-fitness based. I think it is of marginal value; most people are over valuing their gym time vs. earlier referenced but intagible qualities such as agression/experience/toughness. (NOTE: By experience, I am not referencing formal fight training; that is another discussion) I can say with confidence that my friend from growing up in inner-city Philadelphia would kick the [censored] out of most people his size (despite his pack a day habit,declined muscle mass and alcohol abuse)
In fighting terms, the typical person's gym routine is tertiary to their sucess in a physical fight.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 AM

My survival theme has generally been that most guys that can kick my ass can't actually catch me. It's served me well for the most part except for the occaisional ass-whopping I got from someone who didn't look that tough.

Running hasn't failed me so far.

Seroiusly though, I've seen and been in lots of street fights from the age of 13 to 19 or so. 1/2 the fights ended quickly with one person dominating right away, and then people stepping in to break it up. The other 1/2 turned into 20 minute rolling-around-on-the-ground wrestling matches until folks got sick of watching nothing happen and broke it up.