Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Pointing domain name to host help(DNS?)

I recently bought a domain name from namecheap.com, and have a webhost at networksolutions.com. I was looking for help on how to make my domain name point to a directory on my server. The namecheap website told me to change my DNS's to my webhosts one which I did (I WHOIS'd my other website on NetSol and got 2 DNS's). When I whois my new domain name, it says that its using the DNSs that I set, however when I goto the URL it gives me the Server Not Found page.

On the NetSol side I added a new domain name in the settings and told it to point to a specific directory. Still nothing is working.

When I asked the NetSol customer service how to make this work, they told me to edit my CNAME records at namecheap.com.

So two different companies telling me to do two different things.

Does anyone know how this works, and what I should be doing differently? I've waited over 24 hours, and believe the changes have taken effect since the WHOIS on the domain name shows the updated DNS servers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Pointing domain name to host help(DNS?)

even though your sites are hosted by the same hosting company (netsol) they probably have different name servers. i would think they sent you an email or something with your nameservers for your new hosting plan when you registered for it.

as a side note, last i checked (a couple years ago) everything netsol did was ridiculously overpriced. like i said i havent really looked them up in years but last time i did you could get the same service elsewhere for pennies on the dollar.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:52 AM

Yes, I know it is overpriced which is why I didn't buy the domain name from NetSol but rather from namecheap.com. I didn't get a new hosting plan, I've been on the same hosting plan from NetSol since I first bought the webhosting a few years ago. The only problem I'm having now is linking my newly bought domain name (from namecheap.com) to my webhost (NetSol).
Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 AM

I ran into a similar problem when I used a separate host from my domain registrar. It's funny how they tell you to wait 24hrs before changes go into affect. I waited 48hrs and called customer service multiple times until I realized that just giving the names of my sites to my webhost wasn't enough. Under the settings for your domain name registrar you must change the DNS servers to the two provided by your webhost in a confirmation email. Once you do this, the changes actually occur within 5 minutes or less. If you're still having problems PM me and I'll try to give a more detailed explanation.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 AM

Yes, I did set my webhosts DNS servers in my domain name settings, no luck.

I'm now trying NetSol's way, which is to set the DNS settings for my domain name back to the namecheap.com original DNS servers, and then edit the CNAME records to point to the webhost. We'll see if that works or not.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Go to NameCheap, log in and click on the domain. In the sub menu click on All Host Records under Host Management.

Change the IP/URL to what Netsol told you. Change the record type to CNAME.

CNAME's are kind of weird and not how you normally do things. The only time I've ever had to use one was when we were using some free host that had a free message board client installed for us.