Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 PM

Default NL Session feedback...$$$$$?

Hey, Looking for some feedback on an issue that is plaguing me. In the past several months I have been having a tough time in the cash games.

I play better than the average player. I consider my game to be solid and developing nicely. Here is the situation (Yesterday is a perfect example) I played live at a local card room here in LA. I stayed on the 40 NL tables. I usually bounce between here and the 100NL tables.

After about 45 min. to an hour, I had a great read on 3 of the players, and developing on the rest. I busted early twice and was now in for $120. By this time I had taken a solid position on the table and could move pretty much at will.

I built my stack from the third $40 to about $300. I was feeling great…..I left the club about 4 hours later down 180 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] . This seems to happen a lot. I play good/great for 97% of the evening and lose 2-3 large pots and end up down.

What do you all think?

When should you get up?

No that I have a large stack I can push my strong position…do I stay?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: NL Session feedback...$$$$$?

Continue playing as long as you feel you are playing good, thinking clearly, and the game is still good.

There is a lot of variance in live play compared to online, mainly because you see so fewer hands per hour. Also you could be losing a lot to the rake- which is probably quite high at a live 40NL game.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:54 AM

Believe me the rake is not the big issue here. (Although significant)

I am talking about playing multiple good rounds only to depart stuck. Time and time again.

Couple of weeks ago in Vegas...200 NL...up 750...............depart down 475...

Now, to clarify not all sessions are bust. I wouldn't be playing if that were the case. I am just trying to figure out why this seems to happen freq.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:10 AM

Its possible that you aren't as good as you think. Your question is pretty common for new player. You end up stuck because you lost some hands, thats kinda just how it works.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:22 AM

easy tonto.....not saying i'm quiting my day job or anything but, I have a good solid game.

And I'm not talking about losing a few hands and being crazy 'cause i lost 100. I have seen this happen to me and have had many discussions with my friends that have had a similar outcome.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 AM

I'm honestly not trying to come off as a dick. Can you list some things that you think might be causing this?

Just try to start considering it all one big session, because, well, it is. If you want to leave a winner after you double through a couple times, don't make any 60/40 calls, etc. Unfortunately thats a bad way to go about it.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When should you get up?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you no longer have an edge over the table, or when another engagement becomes more important than playing poker. Only leave when ahead if you play worse with a large stack. If you think you do, post some hands in the strategy forums here to verify it.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:58 AM

You said you are losing your money in only a few large pots.
Tell us about those hands. Do you get involved with marginal hands? Or maybe you overplay your hands? Did you make some badly timed bluffs?
Exactly are you losing those big pots?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM

This is very common from what Ive seen. I have friends that are very good players and win pretty consistantly, but its that one or two hands that they really overvalue and overplay and blow their session. We need to see the hands your losing in your story.
Also what about your online game? More often then not if you have a weekness in live games they are magnifiyed x30 online for the simple fact that they come up more often.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:59 AM

A lot of players here will say "keep playing while you are ahead" blah blah. They probably leave down most of the time too.

I have had the same experience you have had when I started playing.

At some point you wll "feel" your momentum slow down. That's a good time to leave. Also, if the 2-4 players at the table that you are winning most of your money from leave (even if you still "feel" your momentum continuing) that's a good time to leave.

After all, you've been there 3-5 hours, got reads on these guys and are beating them. Why start that all over again with new players who are fresh and/or not giving you action?

And as Backspin20 said:

[ QUOTE ]
...but it's that one or two hands that they really overvalue and overplay and blow their session

[/ QUOTE ]

and that's usually the last one or two hands you play after the live ones have left and you start getting careless, tired, etc.

When you double or triple your buy-in, there is no need to be greedy. You can leave the table for the night or a few hours. There are always tables going 24/7 live or internet. Don't be a greedy compulsive player like most who will respond to your post, and always play on to press their luck. You will lose your money a lot quicker than you make it, whether it's in poker or outside of poker.