Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Ever been told you have an attitude problem?

[ QUOTE ]
People have told me I'm too nice to friends and too mean to strangers, and they're pretty much correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do tend to be too nice to people as well. I am sort of a doormat sometimes. I guess I have two distinct personalities. One who let's people treat her like crap and that puts a smile on and goes back for more. And the other one that is a complete and total jerk to people. Weird. :P I guess a lot of this stems from PMS right now. I just hate being told about 'my attitude'. Or when I'm speaking to someone and they tell me to calm down, holy crap that just makes me more apt to be a jerk.

I have had friends that think I just flip out. But my real true friends, know me and know I'm not really angry and that I'm just...what did someone say once...boisterous was how they put it.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been cursed w/ this my whole life. I have a horrible attitude problem. Perhaps I do. But sometimes I feel like everyone around me is either an idiot or an A-hole. Could this all be me? Perhaps. I am just astounded at the sheer stupidity of people sometimes. But then again, I do stupid [censored] all the time. Perhaps I am unforgiving of people's idiocy because I see it in myself? I do not know. But I am not like this everywhere. I have one job I've had for 6+ years now. And I feel like they'd rape my mother if it meant they could make more $. And I have another job at Sears where I'm super chipper and polite and nice (which I like to say is how I usually am towards people...albeit I have my moments where I can be a bit abrasive). But in general I consider myself to be a pretty nice, polite person.

I was just wondering if anyone else in OOT has been told they have a poor attitude at work, or elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you told you had an attitude problem in highschool? If so by who and how many times?

P.S. The relevance of this question will be in the follow up post. Also it seems that a lot of people like you on this forum (not that there is anything wrong with that, so it’s hard for them to be impartial)

[/ QUOTE ]

Elementary school I had bahavioral problems. Middle school and High school, yes. Many times. I guess it is an issue. But sometimes I feel as though if I changed my ways and plastered a fake smile on my face and was nice, even though I feel warranted in my aggrivation would be much worse (to myself) than showing someone that I am annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i thought this was the case. Most people would brush off such a statement unless its been a reoccuring theme in their life.
I dont think that a fake smile will truly help you especially in the long run.
Personally, i would try to recall the first time you really got angry and think about what happpened and why. I would also think about the first time you got angry for no reason.
Does it tend to be when people doubt what you say at work, even though you know you are right. Or is it seeing someone be incomptenet? The more specific you can be here the better.

P.S. Have you been able to sustain healthy-long term relationships including family, friends, lovers etc.?
P.P.S. Would you say your anger has ever caused you problems in relationships or job?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM

hahahahah....i know exactly what you mean...I've mellowed a bit since I've grown older, but I was also told my whole life I've got an attitude problem. My response to that was always, "no I don't. I have a dealing-with-idiots problem."

Don't worry about it...if it's some middle-management numskull at work telling you this, just know you are destined for bigger and greater things than that moron can even dream about. And if it's your parents...well, that's their job to say that sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Your attitude is just fine.

Now here's a picture of a bulldog in a gown to make you smile.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been cursed w/ this my whole life. I have a horrible attitude problem. Perhaps I do. But sometimes I feel like everyone around me is either an idiot or an A-hole. Could this all be me? Perhaps. I am just astounded at the sheer stupidity of people sometimes. But then again, I do stupid [censored] all the time. Perhaps I am unforgiving of people's idiocy because I see it in myself? I do not know. But I am not like this everywhere. I have one job I've had for 6+ years now. And I feel like they'd rape my mother if it meant they could make more $. And I have another job at Sears where I'm super chipper and polite and nice (which I like to say is how I usually am towards people...albeit I have my moments where I can be a bit abrasive). But in general I consider myself to be a pretty nice, polite person.

I was just wondering if anyone else in OOT has been told they have a poor attitude at work, or elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you told you had an attitude problem in highschool? If so by who and how many times?

P.S. The relevance of this question will be in the follow up post. Also it seems that a lot of people like you on this forum (not that there is anything wrong with that, so it’s hard for them to be impartial)

[/ QUOTE ]

Elementary school I had bahavioral problems. Middle school and High school, yes. Many times. I guess it is an issue. But sometimes I feel as though if I changed my ways and plastered a fake smile on my face and was nice, even though I feel warranted in my aggrivation would be much worse (to myself) than showing someone that I am annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i thought this was the case. Most people would brush off such a statement unless its been a reoccuring theme in their life.
I dont think that a fake smile will truly help you especially in the long run.
Personally, i would try to recall the first time you really got angry and think about what happpened and why. I would also think about the first time you got angry for no reason.
Does it tend to be when people doubt what you say at work, even though you know you are right. Or is it seeing someone be incomptenet? The more specific you can be here the better.

P.S. Have you been able to sustain healthy-long term relationships including family, friends, lovers etc.?
P.P.S. Would you say your anger has ever caused you problems in relationships or job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was diagnosed w/ depression at a very early age. It has significantly gone down in verocity since then. But I used to get angry all the time. I'm sure a lot of it also had to do w/ my upbringing by a teenage mom who resented her decision to keep me, a step-father that beat the crap out of me etc... and yes, it has caused issues in friends and here at this job. Yes, I have been to therapy and yes I have thought about meds again. But it's not always the disease. And I hate even letting people know about it, because then they blame anything I get upset about on it, and it makes it seem as though nothing I get mad about is warranted. I have sustained long term relationships with people. I had a bf of 4 years. The decline of which was brought on by his excessive drinking and lack of any kind of emotion what so ever towards anyone or anything.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:11 PM

I have an attitude problem at work. I'm the boss and apparently I give off the impression that if an employee asks me something they are bothering me, (which totally makes sense because I just want work to go away in general.)

I know it's not fair to anyone who has to work for me but it hasn't helped me to overcome it much. I try to remember to be nice and I do let them know it's not personal.

Ironically, the last time this discussion came up I had just picked my avatar which says....

This is so NOT the right time

Hard to deny my guilt in light of that. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

So, you pretty much don't want to work for me, although the bright side is I'll basically leave you alone if you do because I don't want to talk to you unless it's absolutely necessary. (I even moved out of the office a year ago.)

The Poker Mom
Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM

I have never been told this. Someone told me I was condescending once. But I slept with her friend and did not call her back. Later on that night she apologized.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:17 PM

yeah a lot of people seem to think i have an attitude problem, this forum included

i think my attitude is their [censored] problem, ha
Old 11-17-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one job I've had for 6+ years now. And I feel like they'd rape my mother if it meant they could make more $.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a new job - seriously. Even if it takes you weeks/months of looking and interviewing, get away from that place.

You will never be happy working for this type of company. You will tend to let it show in your attitude and overall performance with the company, which will in turn make you feel worse about your job. It's a cycle that you will not be able to get out of and it will make you very unhappy.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah a lot of people seem to think i have an attitude problem, this forum included

i think my attitude is their [censored] problem, ha

[/ QUOTE ]
It shows from your constant retarded knee-jerk decisions.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM

probably, who knows though since i rarely listen to other people.