Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: LINE WAITING at BEST BUY for PS3

There were supposedly shots fired at one location (and no, not the ghey BB gun story).

Also a store had all their PS3s stolen at gunpoint.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out weapons here.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 AM

wtff a 60gb one is currently listed at 5k on ebay WITH BIDS.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:05 AM

Alright I tried it. Everyone at the stores I went to knows they are going for 3500 on Ebay and wont budge for less than 2500.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 AM

Here is an update you guys need to hear for sure.

My mother and grandmother secured the #1 and #2 positions yesterday afternoon at roughly 3 PM. They had a relatively quiet nite, all the employees were having a blast and everything was good.

Earlier today the line filled up (10 seats) and #1 and #2 were assigned the 2 60GB models and #3 and #4 were assigned the 2 20GB models. #5-10 were assigned rain checks (once the clock hits 12).

So, I'm at the store @ 11:00 PM and we are ready to get our units and head to the house. Just about that time, two cops come in. No problem, they are there for my mother and grandma so we're ready to get our 60gb and then the cops and the employees call them back to the back for a meeting.

They tell them that there are only 2 20GB units, not 2 60GB units and then they proceed to tell them that they will write them 2 60GB rain checks and then we leave the store.

I am speechless. They waited 36 hrs and walked out with a piece of paper while #3 and #4 in line walked out with the two 20GB models.

What a joke.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 AM

^^^Now that's effed up.

I think I'm going to have a horror story too. Me and my brother started camping out at SuperStore at 2pm, they didn't want anyone "loitering" during store hours. So to avoid fights later, they just handed out the tickets then and told us to go home and come back in the morning and pick up our system. They said they would put a sign up telling anyone else who came that all systems were spoken for already.

So out of curiosity I drove by the store a few hours ago, and sure enough there's a line of people camped out. I told them about the tickets that were already handed out (somehow the sign is gone), but you know how pissy people are in these lines. They thought I was BS'ing them.

It's going to be hilarious tomorrow when they all go rushing in as the store opens, and I walk up after them and pick up a system. And by hilarious I mean I'm probably going to be shot/stabbed/raped in no particular order. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it to survive.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 AM

SuperStore, wtf?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SuperStore, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Canada. Same as a Wal-Mart, basically. Or are you just surprised they're selling PS3's?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 AM

I didn't know what that store was.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an update you guys need to hear for sure.

My mother and grandmother secured the #1 and #2 positions yesterday afternoon at roughly 3 PM. They had a relatively quiet nite, all the employees were having a blast and everything was good.

Earlier today the line filled up (10 seats) and #1 and #2 were assigned the 2 60GB models and #3 and #4 were assigned the 2 20GB models. #5-10 were assigned rain checks (once the clock hits 12).

So, I'm at the store @ 11:00 PM and we are ready to get our units and head to the house. Just about that time, two cops come in. No problem, they are there for my mother and grandma so we're ready to get our 60gb and then the cops and the employees call them back to the back for a meeting.

They tell them that there are only 2 20GB units, not 2 60GB units and then they proceed to tell them that they will write them 2 60GB rain checks and then we leave the store.

I am speechless. They waited 36 hrs and walked out with a piece of paper while #3 and #4 in line walked out with the two 20GB models.

What a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pwned.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 AM

Here's my trip report from this morning:

I thought I would get up early this morning and try all the stores on my way to work just in case. I'm sure you can guess how that went. My local Wal-Mart for a small town got 2 and there were already 2 guys out there since yesterday morning. I showed up an hour before it openned. They told me that there were only 2, but I waited for an official word before leaving because I was in the store a few days ago and they were expecting 10. Anyway, a manager came out, gave them tickets for the 2 PS3s and a free breakfast (at McDonald's I'm sure.)

I left my local Wal-Mart and headed for one in a bigger city (population about 120K.) I got there just as it was opening, but the greeting lady told me they only had 6 and the people had left 5 minutes ago with them. I then checked out Zellers an hour before they were supposed to open because I was told by a sales clerk there that they were going to have some in addition to the preorders they took. When I got to the store they had a note on their door saying "Sony has announced...we won't be able to meet the advertised numbers..." I wonder if those preordering actually got any from them.

As a last ditch effort I drove by Best-Buy, but didn't get out of my car as a bunch of kids were standing around outside empty handed and it was clear they were sold out. I finally checked out future shop and got there just after they opened their doors to those who were waiting. In the store I saw people in rain gear buying theirs. That was the only time I actually saw one in person. I was 3rd in line of the people just arriving and they told me that the sales clerk told them that they might have a couple left and he would check. He later came out and said that they were sold out.

I estimate that there were probably 50 units for an area of about 150K people where I live. These things are going to be gold. I predict 5K on ebay easy.

Edit:

Here are some that are ending recently and have real bids:

$3050.00 - with an hour left so I'm guessing around $3500 at closing

$2559.09 - with 1 and a half hours left.

$2550.00 - with 2 hours left.

It looks like $3500 is the number for this morning. Once the real impact of how few have actually been shipped hits though I expect a big jump.