Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Glenn Beck show tonight

[ QUOTE ]
Who else is watching it? Its basically an hour of clips from Middle Eastern media. Pretty interesting stuff, some of it quite scary. Its on CNN at 7/9/12 Eastern time. I will be handing out a quiz tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this show were a Two Plus Two post, it would have to be locked and Glenn Beck would be temp banned for promoting bigotry.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Glenn Beck:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611150004/
Old 11-16-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glenn Beck:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, now that interview shows you how anyone can be put on TV or the radio. Best part:

"because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."

And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

Sounds like something Rush would say.. but he would wait at least a few days for the "apologetic clarfication." (Folks... uuheeemm... I wasn't accusing him of being the enemy..uhueumm.. because he is not... uheeum... it's just the way i feel.)

As I said before, I didn't get to see his special, but I feel like knowing what the enemy is teaching its children and its people about us is very important. It's too bad such an idiot is the one that needs to point it out to us.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glenn Beck:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice red herring, what the [censored] does this have to do with anything? Its real simple: The clips that Beck showed last night are either real or fake, and if they are real, Beck was either cherry picking or this sort of stuff is pervasive in Middle Eastern media. Just answer those simple questions. I dont give a rat's ass what Glenn Beck said to KEith Ellison, how much smack he did, or if he [censored] his sister ten ways to Sunday. Either its true or its not, and if it is, we might want to rethink our benign view of the Middle East.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beck was either cherry picking or this sort of stuff is pervasive in Middle Eastern media. Just answer those simple questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite some objections about this being a strawman -- to answer this question, knowing about Beck's credentials as an objective journalists are relevant, IMO. I suspect someone with the inclination could make American media look mighty hateful and malignant. To know if this is occuring here, only reversed, we need to know about Beck -- we need to know about his 'inclinations'.

In some sense -- "we might want to rethink our benign view of the Middle East" -- this question is sort of irrespective of Glenn Beck or what he aired. If Beck concedes he's not an objective journalist, we should seek out objective sources to discover just how hate-mongering the Arab media truly is. If the claim is Beck is a reliable and objective source for such information -- that is, if the claim is we should take him seriously -- then questions about his objectivity seem completely relevant.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beck was either cherry picking or this sort of stuff is pervasive in Middle Eastern media. Just answer those simple questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite some objections about this being a strawman -- to answer this question, knowing about Beck's credentials as an objective journalists are relevant, IMO. I suspect someone with the inclination could make American media look mighty hateful and malignant. To know if this is occuring here, only reversed, we need to know about Beck -- we need to know about his 'inclinations'.

In some sense -- "we might want to rethink our benign view of the Middle East" -- this question is sort of irrespective of Glenn Beck or what he aired. If Beck concedes he's not an objective journalist, we should seek out objective sources to discover just how hate-mongering the Arab media truly is. If the claim is Beck is a reliable and objective source for such information -- that is, if the claim is we should take him seriously -- then questions about his objectivity seem completely relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Objective Media does not exist.

If you would like to seek out some of the "hatemongering" media of the Middle Eastern world a quick look on the internet will find you more than enough. I would post links here but fear the rules. If you would like some I am sure I can find them for you and PM them to you.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Objective Media does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think we can talk about degrees of objectivity. I'd trust information to be closer to the empirical reality from say, Jim Lehrer or Bob Woodward, than I would Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore. I doubt this is a contentious point.

I think it's important to know, if we're to answer the question of whether or not Beck was "cherry-picking" Middle East media clips (with no other information at our disposal) -- I think it's important to know how objective he is, even if we concede no journalist is an automaton without personal biases.

Of course, we likely do have other information at our disposal, which is why I mentioned earlier that Beck (and his show last night) are somewhat irrelevant. They're part of a moasic, so to speak, but I'd suggest an hour long show could never paint a complete picture. How Beck's show weighs in the "moasic" -- how much credence we give it as being an accurate picture of the Arab media -- is correlated to his objectivity.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 AM

Vulture,

I caught only part of GB's program last night. Similar clips have been shown for years now and seem to be all too quickly forgotten. (IIRC, even <u>60 Minutes</u> has shown similar.) It's like no one wants to believe the hatred being spewed or "Can't Handle The Truth."

What really pizzes me off is how the Muslim community's efforts in the U.S. to counter the Islam-o-Fascists PR in the "MainStreamMedia" goes unnoticed. Why won't our Guardians of Truth in The Fourth Estate give the words and writings of the professor GB had on, equal space? Or at least mention the man sometime? Until last night I'd not known anything about him. I doubt I'm in a minority.

On rare occasions I see a small paragraph about an Imam in the States speaking out for his local community. I guess it's just not exciting or bloody and therefore not worth covering. Hell, Girl Scout cookie sales get more coverage.

I don't have any doubt as to the clips being genuine.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 AM

Wow I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see you back!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Ok just for you I will look for a torrent/youtube of this show this weekend and give my thoughts on it. I might have to end up watching it on cnn's site, which is never a fun experience.
A few questions to those that have seen it, does it show the day/night difference between the Sunni and Shia sects, or does it lump them all into the same category. I've watched a couple other random Glen Beck show's on CNN and from what I recall it was mostly entertainment news and had a bit of a xenophobic vibe. That recent exchange with the first muslim congressmen honestly made me cringe. My trust for him as an objective source is uhh not that strong but I will give it a shot. Lou Dobb's could kick his ass anyways so whatever.