Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Default I probably played this badly... stud 8 2/4

It's absolute, so sorry about the raw form. Trying to figure out when I should have folded. No reads, but players aren't complete idiots. I only made some suits pretty for a good reason.

Stage #494425654: Seven Card Hi/Lo Normal $2/$4 -
*** 3rd STREET ***
X - Pocket [H H Qc]
Villain 1 - Pocket [H H 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
X - Pocket [H H 6s]
X - Pocket [H H Qs]
X - Pocket [H H 10s]
Hero - Pocket [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
X - Pocket [H H Kc]
Villain 2 - Pocket [H H 7s]
Villain 1 - Bring-In $1
X - Calls $1
X - Folds
X - Folds
Hero - Calls $1
X - Folds
Villain 2 - Calls $1
X - Folds

The call was probably a bit loose, but with a completely live straight and flush draw it might be ok?

*** 4TH STREET ***
Villain 1 - Pocket [H H 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
X - Pocket [H H 6s Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero - Pocket [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain 2 - Pocket [H H 7s 2c]
Hero - Checks
Villain 2 - Checks
Villain 1 - Checks
X - Checks

I'll fold to a bet from anyone, since I caught air. The blind not betting should mean that he doesn't have a 4low.

*** 5TH STREET ***
Villain 1 - Pocket [H H 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
X - Pocket [H H 6s Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero - Pocket [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain 2 - Pocket [H H 7s 2c 5c]
Hero - Checks
Villain 2 - Bets $4
Villain 1 - Calls $4
X - Folds
Hero - Calls $4

He doesn't have a low, so my flush draw is for the whole pot. The blind probably has a flush draw too, maybe a straight draw; with a complete hand he would raise?

*** 6TH STREET ***
Villain 1 - Pocket [H H 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero - Pocket [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4c]
Villain 2 - Pocket [H H 7s 2c 5c 9s]
Hero - Checks
Villain 2 - Checks
Villain 1 - Bets $4
Hero - Calls $4
Villain 2 - Calls $4

The low board proves he was bluffing, and it looks like the other guy made his flush or straight. I'm a bit worried about a straight flush or an ace in the hole, but I called anyway, since it was just the blind... I guess I should have folded because of the pot odds.

*** RIVER ***
Villain 1 - Pocket [H H 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] H]
THA_STUNNA - Pocket [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4c A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain 2 - Pocket [H H 7s 2c 5c 9s H]
THA_STUNNA - Checks
Villain 2 - Checks
Villain 1 - Bets $4
THA_STUNNA - Raises $8 to $8
Villain 2 - Raises $12 to $12
Villain 1 - Raises $12 to $16
THA_STUNNA - Calls $8
Villain 2 - Calls $4

I was 100% sure the 4 flush was gonna bet again with even a straight, so a check raise with an AK flush seems smart. After facing two bets back to me, it didn't seem so smart. I was pretty sure he had the straight flush, but he might have been raising with an ace high flush, so I called... big pot anyway. I'm guessing that wouldn't be my biggest mistake in the hand anyway.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: I probably played this badly... stud 8 2/4

There are no blinds in stud. Damn hold'em players.

Third-street call is fine. Some won't like it, but these people have no gamble in them and are to be ridiculed.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Checking fourth is obviously the way to go. Calling one bet wouldn't be terrible, either. I would say that the fact that the BRING-IN caught a Nine would tend to indicate that he does not have a four-card low.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would bet out on fifth and hope to buy the pot. If you don't, presumably you have outs. I think you played sixth and the river just fine. I wouldn't assume that the bring-in has the one card in the deck that beats you.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Fold third, this hand is no good in stud 8. If you insist on playing it, at least raise so you can represent split kings and can pressure them to fold that way.

Fifth is ugly, villain 1 could easily have the Ah here with his low/flush draw leaving you in rough shape. You're usually gonna get just half and may not be drawing very live even for that.

For the love of god fold sixth. Why can't he have the Ah here? You're not getting odds here anyways especially since you will often be jammed on the river when you make your flush, which sucks something awful for you.

You put yourself in a terrible spot on the river here, they could just have lower flushes. Don't know without knowing pot size and I'm too lazy to add it up. You shouldn't have been here in the first place.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 PM

I think deciding that Villain 2 doesn't have a low on fifth is suspect, and given that your call on sixth is awful. Villain 2 may be checking his low lock to the four-straight-flush in hopes of whipsawing you, and you may end up putting four bets in drawing to one out for half if villain 1 has the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or dead if he has the 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].