Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Winning player, but thinking of quitting poker...

I just saw Maize's comment. Defintely I learned a lot from poker. I no longer fear math, my BS radar is sharp as hell and my emotional tolerance for things is higher than before. I also find myself a lot less angsty.

And yes, if I played 0008 Omaha 8/b tables, my head would explode, especially 6-max, which at 1/2 = ATM.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 AM

mate, this doesn't have to be a binary decision of "quit" or "not quit". the answer's easy... take off 3-4 months and see how you feel after that. at first, you'll probably feel like you don't know how to fill up all the hours you used to play. but gradually your life will adjust and you'll get into other stuff. so after that period, re-assess where you are and how you feel about things. may also be worth asking your closest friends if you seem any different.

good luck with you, however it turns out.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM

Nice quotes, reminded me of how well I write. I stand by all of them.

There's nothing arrogant about the truth.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had an overwhelming feeling "wow, I've wasted a lot of time."

[/ QUOTE ]
And you have! Poker playing is a waste of time. Mike Caro made this observation many wasted moons ago. Caro was trying to justify poker playing by going on to say that everything we (humans) do is a waste of time. Living is a waste of time if we look closely at it. Caro might be right about living being a waste of time I don't know.

I believe though that more importantly than a waste of time poker playing is a waste of talent. It can become a "brain dead" endeavor. Once one acchieves some degree of efficiency and competency there really is no more to learn from playing poker. Poker proficiency offers only a "dead end" in time spent. Poker playing is repetitive and time consuming with questionable rewards. It is a perfect endeavor for the less than ambitious among us. The idea of "freedom" associated with poker playing is a myth.

pokerisme
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice quotes, reminded me of how well I write. I stand by all of them.

There's nothing arrogant about the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Just kidding.

OP- Take some time off and re-evaluate. You will know if that gambooool comes back again.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:54 AM

If you don't want to deal with it and you've already moved on in your head then try to stop playing and see how you feel once you're done playing. If you miss it so much that you want to keep playing then you have your answer. If you don't miss it at all or maybe just a little bit then you know you made the right choice.

My girlfriend doesn't like playing poker as much anymore because it "contributes nothing to society." I frankly can give a damn if I contribute to society. I worked in the automotives for about 7 years as a sales engineer and while I liked helping people and liked being the top salesman I can't say I can care whether or not I contribute to society. I'm happy leaving the tables every night with a profit and that's all I care about. Maybe one day when I've got more money than I know what to do with I'll change my view, but right now it's all about the money. Actually it's usually all about the money
Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 AM

Sat down with some new people at a bar, a few years older than me to get some input on my life plants then got to know this amazing girl. I think I might go back to the game -- the killer instinct is back, though I'm not so sure it should be focused on poker. Still reevaulating what I want to do though. Maybe I'm only in good spirits about the girl, but we'll see. Still not going to AC though...might be a few weeks or so till I get back to playing.

In others words, Steamboatin, stay out of .5/1.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:21 AM

quitting after a downswing just sounds like results based thinking to me.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:03 AM

yeah women can pick your spirits up. The important thing is that your mind is in it. There was a hockey team that I used to play for that had us memorize a quote which went something like this. "If you think you are beaten you are. If you think you dare not you don't. If you'd like to win, but think you can't, it's almost a cinch you won't. For in the end you find that life's battles don't always go to the strongest or fastest man. In the end the one who wins is the one who thinks he can."

That was in high school about 16 years ago and my hockey coach's father was a chief scout for the Detroit Red Wings. We were lead to believe that they comitted the same quote to memory.

It's all about confidence
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 AM

This place is clearly a lot kinder than BBV, but how has no one mentioned this:

[ QUOTE ]
I had a minor downswing last night (-20BB).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sat down, played for an hour. Down 2 BB. My heart is defintely not into this anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that BB = big bets, 20BB is not a downswing - it's a buy-in! And 2BB? That's noise. If these loses seem at all significant to you, then you either haven't played all that much, or you've been running good.