Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Quick Bible Question, NOT A DEBATE

Ok, this is basically a question asking those who are familiar with the Bible: is homosexuality listed as a sin in the New Testament? I am not interested in whether 'lying with a man' is or is not homosexuality, I will grant it is. I am also not interested in "Jesus accepts all of the OT" and I DEFINITELY don't want this thread to be some debate we've had a million times. I just want someone who is familiar with the Bible to tell me if it specifically talks about or better yet condemnds homosexuality in the NT. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Quick Bible Question, NOT A DEBATE

The short answer is yes. At face value, Romans 1:25, and I Corinthians 6:9 appear to condemn homosexuality.

The longer answer is "maybe not." Both verses are specific to sexual immorality and promiscuity. Monogamous homosexual relationships between consenting adults may not have been referenced by the original greek.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM

Thank you. I was primarily familiar with the stuff in Leviticus, and for as little OT as I know, I know much less NT.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Doesn't Jesus make some reference to Sodom?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Matt.11.24 "But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you"

The implication is there
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the authors of the Bible had limited knowledge of homosexuality. The Bible is silent on the topic of sexual orientation. In particular, it does not describe committed, loving, same-sex relationships. Thus, we have a slight degree of freedom in determining what is moral behavior for such couples.
"Equality" The genocide of Sodom described in Genesis 19 was motivated by the inhabitants' uncharitable treatment of strangers and uncaring attitude towards the poor. Homosexual rape is condemned. But this is unrelated to same-sex behavior in a loving relationship.
Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 condemn cultic homosexual behavior in a Pagan temple. They are part of the Holiness Code, and are not binding on Christians today.
Judges 19 is a reworked version of Genesis 19, and contains no additional information about homosexual behavior.
The Deuteronomy and Kings passages are mistranslations in the King James Version of the Bible; the passages refer to prostitution, not to homosexual behavior.
Romans 1:26-27 condemns heterosexuals who depart from Christianity, embrace Paganism, worship idols, and act against their nature by engaging in homosexual behavior.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is somewhat ambiguous, but apparently refers to men who sexually abuse boys, and is unrelated to consensual homosexual behavior in a committed relationship.
1 Timothy 1:9-10 carries the same ambiguous message as 1 Corinthians.
Jude 7 refers back to the attempted rape of angels in Sodom -- again unrelated to consensual homosexual behavior.
1 Corinthians 6:11 does hold out hope that sinners can be reformed and sanctified. However, this would seem to refer to child molesters deciding to abandon their criminal. abusive practices.

[/ QUOTE ]

from religioustolerance.org
Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the authors of the Bible had limited knowledge of homosexuality. The Bible is silent on the topic of sexual orientation. In particular, it does not describe committed, loving, same-sex relationships. Thus, we have a slight degree of freedom in determining what is moral behavior for such couples.
"Equality" The genocide of Sodom described in Genesis 19 was motivated by the inhabitants' uncharitable treatment of strangers and uncaring attitude towards the poor. Homosexual rape is condemned. But this is unrelated to same-sex behavior in a loving relationship.
Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 condemn cultic homosexual behavior in a Pagan temple. They are part of the Holiness Code, and are not binding on Christians today.
Judges 19 is a reworked version of Genesis 19, and contains no additional information about homosexual behavior.
The Deuteronomy and Kings passages are mistranslations in the King James Version of the Bible; the passages refer to prostitution, not to homosexual behavior.
Romans 1:26-27 condemns heterosexuals who depart from Christianity, embrace Paganism, worship idols, and act against their nature by engaging in homosexual behavior.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is somewhat ambiguous, but apparently refers to men who sexually abuse boys, and is unrelated to consensual homosexual behavior in a committed relationship.
Jude 7 refers back to the attempted rape of angels in Sodom -- again unrelated to consensual homosexual behavior.
1 Corinthians 6:11 does hold out hope that sinners can be reformed and sanctified. However, this would seem to refer to child molesters deciding to abandon their criminal. abusive practices.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sssttttttttrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt ttcccccchhh
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the authors of the Bible had limited knowledge of homosexuality. The Bible is silent on the topic of sexual orientation. In particular, it does not describe committed, loving, same-sex relationships.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible only recognizes sex to be good in the context of marriage. Marriage has been defined as male and female two coming together and becoming on flesh.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and the two shall become one flesh;…
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sssttttttttrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt ttcccccchhh

[/ QUOTE ]

txag,

You are on shaky ground here. I specifically said no debating or arguing in my thread. I know I have no powers, but I will still pretend to ban you from my thread if you break the rules. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the authors of the Bible had limited knowledge of homosexuality. The Bible is silent on the topic of sexual orientation. In particular, it does not describe committed, loving, same-sex relationships.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible only recognizes sex to be good in the context of marriage. Marriage has been defined as male and female two coming together and becoming on flesh.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and the two shall become one flesh;…

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the word "marriage" in the passage above