Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Building A Table!

My friend and I wanted to build a Poker Table that looks like this here minus cupholders. We've never done this before, wondering if anybody had any advice?? Also, we don't what kind of jigsaw blade or if there are specific tools that make the process easier. Any help is appreciated, and as always Thanks in Advance!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Building A Table!

Just built my first table and definitely enjoyed the results. It's a bit of work, but surely worth it. My best advice would be to try and make a comprehensive list of EVERYTHING you are going to need, and try to knock it out in one trip. My construction time was probably doubled by repeat trips to Lowe's and Joanns. (running out of staples, not buying enough foam padding, etc.) I built a standard table, so I can't give advice on the racetrack, but I found that a somewhat thinner/flexible jigsaw blade works best for cutting the rounded sections of the table. Too thick and the blade is tough to shape with. (I used a Dewalt saw and a few blades marked for "fine cut"/wood)
I used 1/4 inch headliner foam from joanns under the playing surface and liked the results. Good amount of cushion without being overkill.
I got some good advice before doing my rail padding and cut the foam in one piece and glued it (3M 77 spray)to the top of the rail. (measure top rail + inner + outer and cut one piece) This way, when you stretch your vinyl around the foam it gives you one continuous straight line of padding along the inner,top,and outer rail. You won't get any bunches along the rail in spots where you may have put too much or too little foam. This stuff is pricey, measure carefully.
Good luck. If you have any specific questions I'll try to help. There are a lot of people on this forum with a lot more experience than me on this subject, and they were more than helpful during my first building project.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM

thank you thats a great start exactly what i'm looking for!! Anyone else??
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 AM

use the search function
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM

http://www.scottkeen.com/forum/

The only forum you ever need to read for building a table.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
use the search function

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, those guys are good.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM

http://www.homepokertourney.com/tables_build.htm

I built my own, with a few tips off this site. i already knew a lot about woodworking, so the best tips off the website i got were for upholstering, which i had no idea how to do. i did what the PC Potato table said for the rails, and it worked great. no awkward seams or anything. used a TON of staples. pretty much did my own thing for the way i built the table though.

the cut you need to be the most careful with is where the center padded section meets the racetrack, because it will be visible. be careful to get this one evenly round on the ends, smooth, and straight on the sides. the other cuts end up covered by padding and fabric, so mistakes can be covered on those.

the only power tools you really need are a jig saw and a drill. Random orbit sander is nice, but not really needed. Use varethane or something similar to seal the wood after you stain it.

FWIW, its really hard to pick your cards up off of the racetrack (the reason tables are padded to begin with), but it looks really nice, and gives a good spot for beer and chips, so i guess a bit of inconvienience is offset by that.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 PM

If your going to allow food and drink on the racetrack better put some stain / water repellent on the center fabric.
I built some side tables from the left over plywood. My number one house rule - No food or drink on the table - ever
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM

scott's site is the end all be all of building.

Search for elliptical table for mine
Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
use the search function

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, those guys are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

And handsome too.