Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Best Scientists OAT

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you did a random telephone survey of 500 people, "I don't know" would win most of the categories.

My answers
Genetics - Collectively, Watson, Crick, & Franklin
Neuroscience - Ramon y Cajal
Infectious diseases - Pasteur
Biology - Darwin
Physics - Einstein
Chemistry - Mendeleyev
Math - Gauss
[Psychology - Skinner]

Public's #1 answers
Genetics - "I don't know"
Neuroscience - "I don't know"
Infectious disease - "I don't know"
Biology - "I don't know"
Physics - Einstein
Chemistry - "I don't know"
Mathematics - "I don't know"
Psychology - Freud

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping you'd jump in, since you're one of the only other neuroscience guyf I know of on here.

I agree 100% with Ramon y Cajal, Pasteur, and Darwin.

However, what started the discussion I was talking about in my OP was how Watson and Crick are waaaayyy overrated as scientists, especially when you consider talent. I disagree pretty strongly with with you in this case. I think Fisher, Morgan, or Sewell (and a few others) are much better choices here - considering both talent and impact.

Also, I think Skinner's an unusual choice - especially for a neuroscientist [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I think Wundt and James would lead my list. Those guys were amazing.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 AM

I said Watson and Crick because they did, after all, identify the chemical structure of genetics. That gets us to sequencing and molecular biology and had an enormous practical impact after 30-40 years. Yes, somebody else would have done it if they hadn't. And of course there's the fooforall about whether they stole Rosalind Franklin's data, which detracts from the achievement somewhat.

But still, they've both gone on to continued scientific achievement.

I chose Skinner for psychology because he had enormous impact with behaviorism and completely dominated the field for 2 decades, and the basic principles he laid out are still in use today.

FWIW, my Ph.D. advisor would agree with you about James. He gave me a copy of James' book on my first day in the lab, and now he lives 3 doors down from James' Cambridge house. Maybe that's why I didn't even consider him for this list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Note from Rduke55: I initially hit "edit" rather than "reply" and put all my replies in Aviva's post. I've since removed my comments to another post and kept all of Aviva's text but the formatting may be off (I think I got it right thought). Sorry. </font>
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said Watson and Crick because they did, after all, identify the chemical structure of genetics. That gets us to sequencing and molecular biology and had an enormous practical impact after 30-40 years. Yes, somebody else would have done it if they hadn't. And of course there's the fooforall about whether they stole Rosalind Franklin's data, which detracts from the achievement somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of see them as a "right place, right time" deal. Not only did they have Franklin's data but also her expertise. She told them that they had the phospate groups in the wrong place because they didn't know that they were hydrophilic.
Plus they had Wilkins' data and expertise (I still think that the reason W + C are so famous and nobody knows about Wilkins sharing the Nobel with them is because of the "Slide Rule" picture) and Pauling had his travel restricted and couldn't come to England to meet Franklin and Wilkins. I would guess that if he did he would have beaten them to it.
Also, neither of them really did experients.

[ QUOTE ]
But still, they've both gone on to continued scientific achievement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see that they did. Crick went crazy with his consciousness stuff and Watson did no real science. Crick's influence on molecular biology in the later 50's was reviewing others work.
I just don't seem them as these giants.
Was their finding really important? Of course. But too many other, more talented, people were involved.

[ QUOTE ]
I chose Skinner for psychology because he had enormous impact with behaviorism and completely dominated the field for 2 decades, and the basic principles he laid out are still in use today.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, my Ph.D. advisor would agree with you about James. He gave me a copy of James' book on my first day in the lab, and now he lives 3 doors down from James' Cambridge house. Maybe that's why I didn't even consider him for this list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Understandable [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That honor probably goes to Da Vinci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, well, Da Vinci was in a class all his own though, and was a genuine polymath.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of see them as a "right place, right time" deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, your logic has convinced me.

How often does anybody say that on internet message boards?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kind of see them as a "right place, right time" deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, your logic has convinced me.

How often does anybody say that on internet message boards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised the site is still up and working.