Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM

Default undisciplined, undedicated

My poker playing begun cuz i wanted to make a lot of easy money.I like(like, not love, i proprably wouldnt play this game if there wasnt money envolved) to play poker, i started playing about 7 months ago. When i first started i tried to learn everything i could get my hands on, i was too scared to play for real money cuz i was afraid of losing and being outplayed. The first book i read was "poker for dummies", i dont really remember anything from that book, it didnt offer any real strategic advice, after that i got my hands on HPFAP that book is filled with great advice but most of it skipped me(Ive never been able to concentrate on what im reading, i think i might have a mild case of ADD).I got some good advice from it though, i remember that after reading that book i was constantly trying free card plays, check raises and slowplays.

At that time i found a $125 bonus at partypoker, i donked off $60 and got my bonus cleared. I was $65 in the green, it was great success for me at that time.

After that i read SSHE, it was an easy to read and understand book written in english i could understand. I immediatly went on a huge upswing making over 300 bucks, i was on the top of the world.
After that i went on to clear a 500 bonus and was forced to move up to 0.5/1 where i was a small loser over 15000 hands, i was 4 tabling with all my call, folds and raises being very automatic.That was 4 months ago, i moved up the ranks quickly and then my development as a player just stopped and i havent been able to pick up from where i left.

I think i might have some poker talent, I just cant bring myself to study the game and concentrate on getting better at it.I would like to achieve expert status but right now im just so undisciplined, i feel like i know everything about this game, i know that i dont but i feel like i do and its very hard to shake off this feeling and get back to studying, any help or advice would be appreciated.

sry for every sentence starting with I.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: undisciplined, undedicated

Well, let's see. I'm a really smart guy with excellent abilities at reading, focusing, and learning. I've been playing for close to 25 years and I'm still learning at every session. So... if you want to even beat someone like me (and I'm a nobody in the poker world), you have years of reading, learning and most importantly, playing, to undertake. Also, it's a choice. You only have to do this if you want to become a winner. The vast majority of players like you remain breakeven or small losers throughout their lives yet still enjoy playing. Only 5% or so really win any serious money. It's that hard.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:11 PM

You say you are 4 tabling, and that your game is basically on autopilot, and you aren't making the money you hope. I recommend dropping a table or 2, and focus on playing each hand. You may find yourself making a few decisions differently, improving your winrate.

Or, you can also learn another game to refresh.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM

Undisciplined and undedicated = long time loser.

End of story.