Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Re: I hate 88 - how\'s my line here?

Thisguydan,

Results in white below:
<font color="#ffffff">Villain showed 7d 7c</font>
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 AM

I don't like 3-betting the flop. It aint for value, and it doesn't protect your hand. As played you should check the turn hoping to induce a river bet from a weaker hand. My default line would be to flat call the c/r, and call down from there.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:29 AM

jakbe,

This was str8fish's line too. What would make you slow down or stop?
Are you folding to another overcard on the turn/river, there is a lot here that hurts you?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:07 AM

Actually the more I think about this the more I like the 3-bet line unless your plan is to check/fold the turn, can someone tell me why this is a bad way to go?

The reasons I like it are as follows:
1. If you are ahead, you may win it there and then; not a bad thing when there are lots of cards that can hurt you.
2. If you are behind, you should find out on the flop, the turn with possibly a donk, or assuming you don't check behind on the turn a check/raise, all of which are cheaper than calling-down.
3. If you are behind you may get the opportunity for a free card on the turn to hit your gutshot or trips (whether you take this or not).
4. With a free-card you have the option to get to showdown more cheaply than if you call-down after the check/raise.

Where as:
If you call the flop check/raise where are you going with the hand?
1. If your plan is to showdown this is likely to cost you more than it would if you 3-bet the flop and managed to buy a free card (assuming V bets to the river).
2. If you are ahead you give villain more opportunity to try and bluff you off your hand.
3. If you are ahead you aren't putting any pressure on villain to hit his outs (he may think his overs are worth something) and/or put your flop bet down to an attempt to steal the pot
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 PM

I think you played it fine.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:54 PM

I'd like to add my voice to the "call the check-raise, call to showdown" crowd. I don't think the flop 3-bet really does anything other than allow him to play better with a hand weaker than ours.

Watkins, it seems as though you were afraid that villain could have overcards in this situation, and that one falling on later streets would force you to fold. Two things:

1) When villain check-raises you on the flop, he's more likely to have a made hand than overcards. This is is just experience speaking.

2) Even if he might have overcards some percentage of the time, getting to a showdown is still totally defensible even if turn and river are paint-paint. You need to estimate the probability that he'll have an overcard hand.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. If you are ahead, you may win it there and then; not a bad thing when there are lots of cards that can hurt you.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is this going to be the action? I really don't see your opponent check-raising then folding to a 3-bet.

This has been an interesting thread and I do like this move but since you don't have a read I would probably go with a more conservative route.