[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what is it according to you pete?

[/ QUOTE ]

some people play better than others

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they have that the regular player misses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not one thing. There are many things that go into making a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol like what:P, name the key diffrences why some can make above 100 K in a year while other keep struggeling in the lot limit games

[/ QUOTE ]

How about intelligence, discipline, work ethic, and timely luck.

James
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: High stakes players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol like what:P, name the key diffrences why some can make above 100 K in a year while other keep struggeling in the lot limit games

[/ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have a piont with work ethic m but your indirectly calling al low limit players, supid, impatiant [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A friend of mine who go's to an university, has now been playing for over 2 years now but he still is at the same level wihout much improvment in is BR(still a winning player do)

On other guy I know who is nog a collge drop out has started playing in januri this year, went broke to times due to the lack of discipline but now has a bankroll of 150K

I think the key thing to succeed in these high cahs games is knowing your players. Get a read on them en go with it even if it cost your whole buy in. You cant survive just playing ABC poker in these kind of cash games, a hand like 56 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is raised 3.5 times the big blind, but also AA is riased the same way. It becomes much harder for you to put your oponant on a hand
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You cant survive just playing ABC poker in these kind of cash games, a hand like 56 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is raised 3.5 times the big blind, but also AA is riased the same way. It becomes much harder for you to put your oponant on a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

deep...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have a piont with work ethic m but your indirectly calling al low limit players, supid, impatiant [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A friend of mine who go's to an university, has now been playing for over 2 years now but he still is at the same level wihout much improvment in is BR(still a winning player do)

On other guy I know who is nog a collge drop out has started playing in januri this year, went broke to times due to the lack of discipline but now has a bankroll of 150K

I think the key thing to succeed in these high cahs games is knowing your players. Get a read on them en go with it even if it cost your whole buy in. You cant survive just playing ABC poker in these kind of cash games, a hand like 56 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is raised 3.5 times the big blind, but also AA is riased the same way. It becomes much harder for you to put your oponant on a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Just bcs you go to uni doesnt make you that smart, sorry. I went to a decent uni and there were plenty of idiots. Im currently at a top 10 uni in the world and not everyone is even that smart here. I'd say that out of the people who beat the highest stakes, sat 200/400 limit and 25/50 nl and higher, 90%+ of them would be in the top 10% of intelligence for the general population. Those numbers may be conservative. So being very smart is almost necessary imo to being a top player. But not sufficient.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM

I think those numbers are very conservative Dean. My guess would be that every player is in the top 10% and most are in the top 1-2%.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just bcs you go to uni doesnt make you that smart, sorry. I went to a decent uni and there were plenty of idiots. Im currently at a top 10 uni in the world and not everyone is even that smart here. I'd say that out of the people who beat the highest stakes, sat 200/400 limit and 25/50 nl and higher, 90%+ of them would be in the top 10% of intelligence for the general population. Those numbers may be conservative. So being very smart is almost necessary imo to being a top player. But not sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the top players today are either like former BJ dealers: Like scotty nguen

Tedd forrest is one of the best in the game, before you started playing poker he worked for 4$ an hour at the respetion on a hotel

Daneil N: A collage dropout, very nice guy

They are somehwat intellegent yes, but far more important. They have an exallent read on their opponants. They can put you on a hand en act on it. I bevlieve this is far more important to have to beat this games on a regular bases then the iq you have
Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think those numbers are very conservative Dean. My guess would be that every player is in the top 10% and most are in the top 1-2%.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM

Lots of things go into being a successful high limit player, I'd venture being top 1-2% in intelligence is not one of them.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM

Dali:

'They are somehwat intellegent yes, but far more important. They have an exallent read on their opponants. They can put you on a hand en act on it.'

And how do they put someone on a hand? Mainly via logical reasoning which is a function of intelligence.

Listen, its like me asking what makes some footballers be able to play for Man Utd, while others play for Grimsby, or in the Sunday leagues. Its not one thing. You cant say there is one factor that every Man U player has that no Grimsby player has. And there isnt one factor that seperates a mediocre Man U player from someone like Rooney. Its a combination of factors. And lots of it is talent. I could look at Rooney, and say he is better than me cos he is faster, stronger, better coordinated, has more vision etc. and try and remedy those deficiencies, but Im never gonna get anywhere close to being as good as him. Just like I could give the average player a list of reasons why Ivey is better at poker than them, things he does better than them, but they aint ever gonna be as good as him.

Dean
Old 11-15-2006, 04:53 PM

Money.

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering was seperates the high stakes players from the regular player who plays say like 100 nl for over a year now.

[/ QUOTE ]