Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Re: how to secure computer from unauthorized use?

[ QUOTE ]
you can encrypt all you want, but if i was your roommate, i would just use this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is absolutely a real possibility but I think someone already mentioned those in an above post. Without a keylogger though, once encrypted, the only way to get the password would be torture. And TrueCrypt has already thought of that.....they allow 100% hidden volumes to be placed inside of a visible volume. So if you were forced to give up the password to the visible volume and it was unencrypted, the inner hidden volume still remains secure and 100% undetectable.

But yes a hardware keylogger is possible but it's also the most easy to defend against, if you know to look for it. I wonder how many of those things are out there on public computers like libraries etc? Scary.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 PM

Well, if it is a hardware war, then some sort of smart-card or finderprint device can be used to log into the PC. Obviously, really "focused" people can record it too (though it would probably take more efforts).

But in the first place, if my roommates were nasty enough to use this tactics, I would think twice if I want to share a room with them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if it is a hardware war, then some sort of smart-card or finderprint device can be used to log into the PC. Obviously, really "focused" people can record it too (though it would probably take more efforts).

But in the first place, if my roommates were nasty enough to use this tactics, I would think twice if I want to share a room with them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

RFID keyboard and a chip implanted in your hand
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 PM

RFID is a joke