Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Winning player, but thinking of quitting poker...

I estimate the probability at 95% that you are a losing player who is just sick of losing. Very few solid winners consider quitting. Nothing wrong with that at all. But a winning player doesn't even contemplate a downswing as any sort of issue. Just a natural part of winning play. The fact that you even mention a downswing at all tells me that you are a losing poker player. Again, no prob, you are in the vast majority. Best to quit rather than lose further money. Losing poker is definitely a complete waste of time.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM

Me, losing?

Perhaps.

I never deposited a cent at Paradise. When I decided to scale back, I withdrew about four hundred.

They'd given me $2 as a teaser. Over a year and a half, I ground it up to a few hundred playing microlimit Limit HE, Limit 7CS and limit O8.

If that's being a losing player, I'll take it. Granted, I never got to the stakes where I'd win money of any consequence, but I did get a nice iPod out of the deal.

From my first two years of playing online, I was a net winner at every site I played except one, where I lost $25. This determined by comparing deposit with withdrawal, and none of it was bonus whoring, 'cause I wasn't playing high enough limits to make that happen in any reasonable time And, my $25 loss was easily made up for by what I won from a $0 deposit at Paradise.

So, no, I wasn't losing.

I left $12 at Paradise. When I came back, I ground that up to $60 over the course of a year, again at binky stakes. Deposited $50 at Pokerstars. It's down to $49 now.

Yes, now, after a year-or-so break, I feel I am a losing player (even though I haven't shown a net loss overall). My game just isn't where it was when I first decided to take some time off.

So, yeah, I was a winning player within the limits I was playing, but overall, the ups weren't as fun as the downs were bad, which as I said, was a net bummer.

Am I a "winning player" who could make a living off poker? Nope, and never have been. Was I a winning player within my limits? Yep.

There are just better ways to spend my time. And, if I want to make money in my spare time, I have much more reliable ways of picking up significant note without playing poker. The fact that I don't always avail myself of those other ways of making money simply reflects that I'd rather do things other than spending all my waking hours trying to make more money. Doesn't matter if it's poker or "regular work." There's just more to life.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I estimate the probability at 95% that you are a losing player who is just sick of losing. Very few solid winners consider quitting...The fact that you even mention a downswing at all tells me that you are a losing poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

sandmarc,

Given the hostile, arrogant, and unsupported accusation in the above response, I decided to review your last twenty responses on 2+2, and found the following, troll-like gems:

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously do not believe in downswings. At least, not in no-limit hold'em. You don't need the best cards to win if you know how to play. You can take many pots down with 3-2 if your timing and reads are expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Incompatible" usually means you were selfish and is usually a code word for the fact that you cheated on her.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the world is concerned, you are a non-person for the time you spend playing poker. Even running a business that fails doesn't do that to you.

It's fine to do this if you are single. But even having conned your spouse does not make it correct to risk your family's welfare to accomodate your own selfishness.

[/ QUOTE ]

However kids, all is not lost, as our Hero also posted the following:

[ QUOTE ]
As long as there is no abusive language or personal attacks it should be up to the forum members to decide what they want to talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly advise you to follow your own advice in the last quote if you are going to continue posting within this forum. On the other hand, if you simply want to flame away with nothing more than shear arrogance behind you, I'm sure they will welcome you in OOT.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I know the OP's screen name on Stars and I have PTO stats on him as a winner over 330 hands playing $.50-$1 O/8.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM

Haha. Thanks for the numbers back up Steambotin, but I'm counting that in about ten seconds, someone is going to say, "so what about the 151,617 other hands?" playing 1/2 and 2/4 elsewhere. .5/1 = ATM (Except you Steamboatin. You keep snapping off my bluffs. Grr.)
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM

Well, sandsmarc, this isn't a personal attack but:

When you've got two majors and two minors to finish, moving to another country next year and just broke up with a girlfriend, I'm pretty sure ANYONE will think about quitting. I guess I should have mentioned that in the original post. I dunno if this is entering BBV territory...

Beat: Don't feel like playing poker anymore.
Brag: Hot French and/or Italian ladies (depends which job I end up getting) and for the meantime college chicks.
Variance: Winning playa' with the first category, barely breakeven on the second.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Haha. Thanks for the numbers back up Steambotin, but I'm counting that in about ten seconds, someone is going to say, "so what about the 151,617 other hands?" playing 1/2 and 2/4 elsewhere. .5/1 = ATM (Except you Steamboatin. You keep snapping off my bluffs. Grr.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker 101, never bluff a calling station.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the money, rocking the 08 tables at least at 4-5 BB each, but my heart isn't in the game anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a load of BS. If you were really "rocking 8 tables for 4-5 BB EACH" you wouldn't dream of quitting. That is an UNHEARD of rate. You'd have to have a HORSESHOE shoved so far up your a** .... you'd be floating with glee, certainly not whining to us about thinking about quitting.

I tell you, there is soooo much BS on this forum it blows my mind.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the money, rocking the 08 tables at least at 4-5 BB each, but my heart isn't in the game anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a load of BS. If you were really "rocking 8 tables for 4-5 BB EACH" you wouldn't dream of quitting. That is an UNHEARD of rate. You'd have to have a HORSESHOE shoved so far up your a** .... you'd be floating with glee, certainly not whining to us about thinking about quitting.

I tell you, there is soooo much BS on this forum it blows my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

O8 tables (limit o8) not 8 tables.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 AM

TL; DR but sounds like OP should quit