Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Default pocket 9\'s, rusty and uncomfortable

Just a few hands into the table, so no reads to use.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls...?

I hate getting 3bet, but I'm getting some 16 to 1 odds on the call, figure it's worth seeing a turn and drop it to a bet there.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: pocket 9\'s, rusty and uncomfortable

I would fold, however I'm not real comfortable raising the flop.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 PM

I'm not so sure about the flop raise, but as played, it's got to be a fold as you are drawing to 2 outs.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 PM

I often cap this Pf to try and get it HU. I'm not sure how often that will work at 1/2 and readless.

I think fodling may be best on the flop seeing as SB called. My one hope when CO 3-bets is he is pumping a FD and being we don't hold the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] one of our two outs is tainted. If SB had folded I would see the turn but as is I'm folding.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM

This is a really tough hand without reads IMO. Like above poster said, it can be good to cap this and get HU at this table, but if SB is a tightie you could be in trouble. I have a feeling SB has a pretty good hand with that 3-bet after one cold caller already in but he also might just suck and do this kind of thing with any pair, suited connectors, etc. On the flop you have an interesting decision, thankfully you didn't go with the worst option (call). If you want to play this hand, a raise is mandatory to figure out where you're at, calling just means you are hoping to "get lucky" with 9, nothing else is good for you. Raise is not bad if SB has 2 unimproved cards (AQ, AJs) and is just making a c-bet, which is possible but hard to say without reads. Once CO 3-bets it and SB calls you should be done, my spot reads would be that SB has something like QQ-JJ to bet that flop and call the 3-bet and CO has KQ-KJ, something of that ilk, although a flush draw is possible. In any case I think you're WAY behind so fold...but the raise wasn't bad IMO.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about the flop raise yet but you have to call here. Getting 16:1 + implieds when you hit your set and closing the action makes this an autocall for me.