Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Busted Draws: Help on the Turn + River

I could use some help in properly playing my draws when they don't hit on the turn. Please fire away, I won't cry.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

&gt; I think Hero should have raised rather than complete here.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

&gt; Was it right to raise the turn? My thinking was 1) 4 outs to nut-flush 2) middle pair 3) 3 outs to hit an Ace for 2-pair. So even though I haven't hit my flush yet, I thought it was worth raising. Was this correct?

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

&gt; Calling is better than folding here right?

Final Pot: 9 BB

==========

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

&gt; Was it correct to raise the flop? Two overcards (6 outs) + inside nut straight draw (4 outs) + backdoor nut flush draw (1.5 outs). That's 11.5 outs right?

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds, CO folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

============
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Busted Draws: Help on the Turn + River

Hand 1, I'd just call the flop. You dont wanna knock out everyone who's going to pad your flush draw. The river, I guess I'd make the call, but it's close, I'm expecting he'll show me a J.

Hand 2, played fine. I'd discount your outs a little on the flop, I'd call it 10. I'd be raising the flop to knock players out, not for value.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

&gt; I think Hero should have raised rather than complete here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually not. If you have reason to believe that villains are weak postflop, then a raise starts to increase in value. Either that, or if there were a couple more villains in the pot... or only one from late position.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this 3-bet. You've got 9 flush outs plus 5 two pair/trips outs so you're going to win the pot more than half the time (assuming all those outs are good).

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

&gt; Was it right to raise the turn? My thinking was 1) 4 outs to nut-flush 2) middle pair 3) 3 outs to hit an Ace for 2-pair. So even though I haven't hit my flush yet, I thought it was worth raising. Was this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on villain. If you think his raise on the flop means a better hand than yours, then check-call here so you don't get raised. Your equity has dropped because you missed your draw and now you only make your hand about 30% of the time. If you think there's a reasonable chance of him folding, a bet is good.

[ QUOTE ]
River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

&gt; Calling is better than folding here right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. But if villain is passive, he almost certainly has a jack (based on his flop raise) and you're not going to win this very often. Use your reads.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

&gt; Was it correct to raise the flop? Two overcards (6 outs) + inside nut straight draw (4 outs) + backdoor nut flush draw (1.5 outs). That's 11.5 outs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't raise this flop. You're usually not buying outs or protecting your hand. You would rather have people call along to pad the pot when you make your hand. After that, it looks good.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 PM

First hand is perfectly played imho.

Second hand I think is fine as well. Calling the flop would be ok too but I do think you occasionally clean up your A/K outs by raising.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM

Hand 1: I would not three bet this flop. I would also just check the turn hoping to get a free card. With the river missing it would be hard to call down here. There is only a small chance that your hand is good here. About the only time I could see you wining this hand is if he was on a flush draw as well or he hit an 8 (having a straight draw on the flop). With that said you are getting pretty good odds to call him down (8:1), so I would be inclined to call down here unless it is a tight player.

Hand 2: This may be a case for taking one off. I would probably just call however and see what comes on the turn. Whether or not you can call the turn bet is decided by what you put your opponent on here. If you think Aces or Kings will be good, then you could definetly call here. The way you played it (raising it on the flop) you are priced in to try to hit your straight on the river. It is an easy fold when the river misses you.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on villain. If you think his raise on the flop means a better hand than yours, then check-call here so you don't get raised. Your equity has dropped because you missed your draw and now you only make your hand about 30% of the time. If you think there's a reasonable chance of him folding, a bet is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so if hero bets and gets re-raised, that would be a total of 3BB in a 8BB pot or 37%. Since we only own 30% equity in the pot, it's not a good deal. Holy crap, I think I just learned something! You guys ROCK!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so if hero bets and gets re-raised, that would be a total of 3BB in a 8BB pot or 37%. Since we only own 30% equity in the pot, it's not a good deal. Holy crap, I think I just learned something! You guys ROCK!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... except that you didn't quite learn something valid.

On the turn, you've got 30% equity if you're behind. That means you get 30% of the money that goes into the pot on that round plus 30% of the money already in the pot. Your 'money in the pot' isn't going to change, so that's 30% of 5 BB = 1.5 BB. For the 'money going in'...

- If you bet and get called -- or if you check-call -- you put in 1 BB to win 30% of 2 BB = .6 BB, ie you lose .4 BB.
- If you bet and get raised, you put in 2 BB to win 30% of 4 BB = 1.2 BB, ie you lose .8 BB.

So when you're behind (and villain isn't folding when you're behind), you lose money when you put money in the pot.

It gets complicated fast if you think there's a chance you've got the best hand, because then your equity is probably in 80% range, and you make money by betting. This is why it depends so much on villain and what his flop raise means.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1, I'd just call the flop. You dont wanna knock out everyone who's going to pad your flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time BB's raise gets back to him it's HU. You could argue that Hero's equity plus the chances he's good makes a 3-bet on the flop okay.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 PM

In hand 1, what do people think about going for a check-raise? Hero has huge equity, and we want to build the biggest pot possible here. Betting out allows someone to raise out the field (are we happy when BB faces the field with 2 bets... I think not). I see a lot of good things happening if hero checkraises the flop either for value or protection depending on who bets (ie, button bets and we get head's up with a potentially weak hand, someone/bb bets and we trap some callers for 2 bets, it checks through and we bet the turn with the best hand). Thoughts?

Otherwise, I like hero's line after the flop bet.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:45 PM

hand 1 looks good.

hand 2, I like the flop raise, you can clean up some outs, I wouldn't do it without the gutshot and the bdfd.