Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Playing Politics with Iraq?

The Bush administration has often accused its Democratic opponents in congress of playing politics with Iraq.

Just before the election, the President said that the policy of the Democrats was to lose the war and let the terrorists win. The Vice President said the Iraq policy was "full speed ahead."

But now, Bush's chief of staff says that "We clearly need a fresh approach." "You know, it's a big disappointment for us in the White House to have lost control of both Houses of Congress," Josh Bolten said. "But sometimes in adversity, there's opportunity, and hopefully we can take advantage of this opportunity."

Said White House Counselor Dan Bartlett, ""If there are good suggestions coming from either the Baker-Hamilton commission or elsewhere - members of Congress, both Republican and Democrat - we want to listen to them."

So who's playing politics now? Before the election, the Democrats, according to the administration, were advising let the terrorists win. But now that the Democrats won the election, they apparently have good suggestions to offer. Bolten explicitly paired the loss in the election with taking suggestions on Iraq policy.

So who is letting politics effect Iraq policy now?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Playing Politics with Iraq?

Hi Andy,

Politicians have been letting politics drive war policy for as long as politicians and wars have existed. There's nothing new here.

Stu
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 AM

they have to play politics as the way to proceed is suicide for the politician that suggests it. and that is to arm the current govt. and let them as they currently wish ,to wipe out the opposition to a single united iraq.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 AM

Default Iran 2.0

[ QUOTE ]
The way to proceed is ... to arm the current govt. and let them as they currently wish, to wipe out the opposition to a single united Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]That would have to be a single united Shia Iraq.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 AM

I was watching a press conference the other day and a reporter asked Bush if he could work with Nancy Pelosi given that during the election he had said a win for Democrats was a win for terrorism. The president's response was that he knew the difference between campaigning and governing and that now that the election was over it was time for governing. Basically, he was admitting that anything he says on the campaign trail is political BS. Couple this with Bush declaring that Rummy would stay on until the end of his term, and I think it's fairly obvious that Bush will say anything to get elected, including outright lies and slander. Bush is a slimy POS and it wouldn't surprise me to see his approval rating at around 20% by the time he leaves office.

So yes, this scumbag was playing politics with Iraq and doesn't give two [censored] about the 2800 American soldiers and tens of thousands Iraqis killed during his war. The man has no integrity. None.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a press conference the other day and a reporter asked Bush if he could work with Nancy Pelosi given that during the election he had said a win for Democrats was a win for terrorism. The president's response was that he knew the difference between campaigning and governing and that now that the election was over it was time for governing. Basically, he was admitting that anything he says on the campaign trail is political BS. Couple this with Bush declaring that Rummy would stay on until the end of his term, and I think it's fairly obvious that Bush will say anything to get elected, including outright lies and slander. Bush is a slimy POS and it wouldn't surprise me to see his approval rating at around 20% by the time he leaves office.

So yes, this scumbag was playing politics with Iraq and doesn't give two [censored] about the 2800 American soldiers and tens of thousands Iraqis killed during his war. The man has no integrity. None.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too saw a bit of that press conference and he uttered a light hearted chuckle when responding how he could be forthright now that the campaign was over. Well isn't that special. G.I.'s are getting their bodies blown apart, that nation is coming apart at the seams, but rather than get Gates in place whenever he had his change of heart, electoral politics trumped all. Truly disgusting.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they have to play politics as the way to proceed is suicide for the politician that suggests it. and that is to arm the current govt. and let them as they currently wish ,to wipe out the opposition to a single united iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,

Not to be contrarian, but aren't you talking about the difference between strategy and ethics?

I agree with you if you're talking about the practicality of changing one's strategy when confronted with a new/different set of conditions.

It is my sense however, that what Andy was referring to was the baseline ethics of the administrations previous position.

Perhaps Andy can clarify?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So yes, this scumbag was playing politics with Iraq and doesn't give two [censored] about the 2800 American soldiers and hundreds of thousands Iraqis killed during his war. The man has no integrity. None.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Playing politics:
Are you insinuating that because the war is unpopular that politicians are playing politics to remove soldiers?

I see it more as the people have spoken and Bush has ignored them for so long and now the political process is starting to catch up to him.

This is Democracy the people have spoken clearly on the Iraq war.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:47 PM

They claimed the Dems were playing politics with the war in Iraq, an unconscionable thing to do in time of war. Yet here they are admitting that they're basing their reevaluation on the results of the election.